I just don't like the noise it makes.... (those 'blind spot' pieces)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ariosto

Originally posted by kea View Post
    1st mvt of the Mendelssohn concerto
    2nd mvt of the Beethoven concerto
    3rd mvt of the Brahms concerto

That concerto would compare pretty well with the Tchaik in my view :D
    Agreed.

But, sorry, I did not mean one of those wonderful works, but a work composed by one of the serious critics on this forum!

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Who's Kate Bush ?
      A Kate in the hand is worth two in the bush ...

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        well quite. It would be awful boring if we all liked ever ything !

I tend to think that particular music or a particular piece is not for me now, but may be one day.. Some things of course we used to love, (which was great) but now we can live without.

In 10 years time I may finally come to see the light re the Tchaik VC, the Locatelli Violin Concertos,and Kate Bush. I look forward to that time.
        As I age I get to enjoy VCs less - not sure why - I still really like the Elgar and Dvorak (and the Romance) but the Sibelius does not light my candle much any more. As for Kate Bush I know there are those who rate her highly but OK she is really one-dimensional in comparison with Joni Mitchell. Maybe not a blind spot because I feel I want to get to know them more but maybe more a case of 'memory almost full' with Mahler beyond Sym 5!

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          she is really one-dimensional in comparison with Joni Mitchell.
          blimey

You are going to tell me that Dylan is more interesting than Tom Waits next

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

blimey

Yes OK

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

blimey

Actually, I think that being one dimensional is one thing that it would be hard to accuse KB of.

Who is Tom Waits? Is he that bloke with a funny trombone?
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Actually, I think that being one dimensional is one thing that it would be hard to accuse KB of.

I did say in comparison with JM - it's all relative!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  That's interesting, Bbm.... I saw/heard Barbs's splutter earlier and was thinking about it, and wondering whether it's because the 'Unfinished' is the first symphony I ever played in - I was wondering if that was what put me off, like Suffy with the Chopin PC#2. The trombone part is a bit dull, and also having all the nuts and bolts of the piece exposed in rehearsals etc might have robbed it of its magic.

Then again, rehearsing and perfoming in Mahler's 5th and Rachmininov's 2nd symphonies only redoubled the power and magic of those pieces, enabling me to hear and be aware of marvels I'd never heard before.

Cali, yes indeed, all those rehearsals with the students, never quite robbed it's magic for me(I always played it on the way back home, the Chamber Orchestra or ~Europe/Abbado, c/w The Grand Duo, orch.Joachim.( We had members of the LPO come down and rehearse with us to, and they really made a difference! Infact, I was playing the 3rd trombone part, (on tuba) and the LPO players were amazed that it actually worked!!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Strange that this is so given the admiration and influence Sibelius had on both Vaughan Williams and Sir Malcolm Arnold.

Try Sibelius 1, 2 & 5 before tackling the others and see if it 'clicks' then.
                    It's been a mystery to me for a long time Pet.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Again you amaze me, edge. If you don't like Sibelius then the Nielsen does not surprise me - I agree with you on Verdi - I like some and particularly where no voices are involved - but Faure - how does someone who loves RVW not warm to Faure - yes some of his chamber works take some getting into but Masques and Bergamasques, Pelleas and Melisande, Pavane and the Dolly Suite are lovely works.
                      I know Cloughie,I'm baffled too.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Well your not alone ER in being an RVW lover who isn't keen on Faure. I like and am generally impressed with most of Faure's chamber and piano music, the songs are a bit hit and miss with me some are lovely, but I cannot stand 'Apres un reve' for example. Works like Masques and Bergamasques and Pelleas and Melisande however rather bore me and as I listed above the Requiem I've never liked, I've sung in it to many times and each time I have to sing it I dislike it even more. I love Sibelius and Nielsen though!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Ravel's Bolero - until 3 days ago when I heard Pierre Monteux's recording. Changed everything.

Comment

• amateur51

Wasn't he on East Enders aeons ago & likes football

The guy with a funny trombone was George Chisholm, surely

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Tom Waits?

George Chisholm?

Never heard of either of them. Am I missing out on something? Meanwhile back to my various RVW 'London' symphony comparisons. So far; Slatkin: Verdict; well played (LSO) but not in my top drawer list.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                                Tom Waits?

George Chisholm?

Never heard of either of them. Am I missing out on something?
                                Yes

I would start with Swordfishtrombones

Not sure about George though

Comment

Working...
                                X