Unexpected corners in composers' music you thought you knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Unexpected corners in composers' music you thought you knew?

Struck as I was on hearing this piece of string quartet music on TTN the other night - I thought it must surely be an early work of Schoenberg's or Zemlinsky's, newly discovered, or that had escaped me - I thought I might try starting a thread on pieces others may have found in unexpected places in a composer's output.

You might not have known, for instance, or expected, that of all people, Peter Warlock composed a parody foxtrot version of the main theme of the finale from Franck's D minor symphony - or that the Hungarian composer, Bartok friend and one-time Kodaly pupil Matyas Seiber collaborated on a work for jazz band and orchestra with then-leading British modern jazz musician John Dankworth!

That said, by way of an open invitation to take me up on this, the abovementioned and linked to piece below, believe it or not, was composed as early as 1886, it says elsewhere... but don't be fooled by its beguilingly charming opening!

Hugo Wolf's Intermezzo for Stringquartet. Performed by the Hugo Wolf Quartett.From the Album containing all works by Hugo Wolf for Stringquartet. Which are t...
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Struck as I was on hearing this piece of string quartet music on TTN the other night - I thought it must surely be an early work of Schoenberg's or Zemlinsky's, newly discovered, or that had escaped me - I thought I might try starting a thread on pieces others may have found in unexpected places in a composer's output....

That said, by way of an open invitation to take me up on this, the abovementioned and linked to piece below, believe it or not, was composed as early as 1886, it says elsewhere... but don't be fooled by its beguilingly charming opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O5CFNvqD3U
    You might try the quartet to which this Intermezzo is related, with the title "Entbehren sollst du, du sollst entbehren!" (Suffer you will, you will suffer!), a quartet [2 sides of an LP] which once was brought together in a 3LP DGG set with Berg's string quartet as well as Schönberg's D-major quartet and the two 1905 string quartets by Webern, performed by the LaSalle.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Struck as I was on hearing this piece of string quartet music on TTN the other night - I thought it must surely be an early work of Schoenberg's or Zemlinsky's, newly discovered, or that had escaped me - I thought I might try starting a thread on pieces others may have found in unexpected places in a composer's output.

You might not have known, for instance, or expected, that of all people, Peter Warlock composed a parody foxtrot version of the main theme of the finale from Franck's D minor symphony - or that the Hungarian composer, Bartok friend and one-time Kodaly pupil Matyas Seiber collaborated on a work for jazz band and orchestra with then-leading British modern jazz musician John Dankworth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O5CFNvqD3U
      Yes, it's interesting indeed and has the occasional premonitions of Schönberg's D minor string quartet from amopst two decades later.

Comment

Working...
      X