X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be a Huddersfield alumnus, by any chance?
    Yes, I suppose I am! I graduated in 1978 (when it was still the Huddersfield School of Music.) Did you also study at Huddersfield? I studied composition with Arthur Butterworth and piano (and unofficially composition) with Harold Truscott. (Needless to say, I'm a fan of Havergal Brian also!)

The work by McCabe which first really got my attention was "Notturni ed Alba", the orchestral song-cycle which was stunningly recorded by Jill Gomez and the CBSO under Fremaux. When I first heard it, it just blew me away, and it still does today: I don't know any music which moves me more deeply. (Hopefully R3 will play it at some point over the next days/weeks. Appallingly - apparently due to the purchase of EMI by the Warner group - the Gomez/Fremaux recording isn't currently available, although I heard that it will be reissued at some point.) I still don't know as much of his music as I would like - but everything I hear enhances my opinion of both him and his work, and I would unequivocally describe him as a great composer.

Whilst talking about McCabe with Harold Truscott, he pointed me strongly in the direction of two works which he felt were amongst McCabe's masterpieces, the choral ballet "The Teachings of Don Juan" (based on the fascinating book by Carlos Castaneda, about his experience as the "apprentice" of an American Indian sorcerer named Don Juan Matus), and a big choral and orchestral work named "Voyage" (to a text by Monica McCabe about the voyage of St. Brendan, which is interpreted as a search for the self.) Neither has so far been recorded, and I think they've each only been performed once (I have a vocal score of Voyage, and it looks amazing.) I've suggested both to the BBC and Naxos that Voyage in particular would be an ideal work to perform/record as a tribute - let's wait and see if any of the seed fell on fertile ground.
    Last edited by peterthekeys; 15-02-15, 03:25.

Comment

• peterthekeys
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      I remember Robert Simpson playing some haunting, visionary song cycle on The Innocent Ear, and revealing it as - John McCabe's [I]Notturni ed Alba.
      I think I remember that programme also. Those "Innocent Ear" programmes were wonderful - both they and Simpson are two more sad losses. That recording of "Notturni ed Alba" is an all-time classic - the astonishing clarity and sensuousness of Gomez' voice, and the CBSO under Fremaux just playing their socks off. I couldn't imagine it being bettered: I do hope it gets reissued soon.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
        The work by McCabe which first really got my attention was "Notturni ed Alba", the orchestral song-cycle which was stunningly recorded by Jill Gomez and the CBSO under Fremaux.
        Ah, gets 'em all, does that! It's what first made his name, I think and a most wonderful piece. I remember it as my first experience of John's music, sung by Sheila Armstrong.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Seems a pity that dear John McCabe (and others in his situation) get removed out of musical threads into 'anything' territory.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            Seems a pity that dear John McCabe (and others in his situation) get removed out of musical threads into 'anything' territory.
            Yes, but I think that, in this instance, that two threads in different sections were started, the second by a member who was apparently unaware of the first. Perhaps this now merged thread should be moved back to where the first one began life; FF - what do you think?

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I was very saddened to hear the death of this great composer of ours. I, like many, have been touched by his music. I mainly know his great works that he wrote for brass band. One of these called Cloudcatcher ells, is his master work. Certainly had stretched the medium to new horizons. RIP
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• peterthekeys
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Yes, but I think that, in this instance, that two threads in different sections were started, the second by a member who was apparently unaware of the first. Perhaps this now merged thread should be moved back to where the first one began life; FF - what do you think?
                Speaking personally, as the member who started the "other" thread, I'm happy for the merged thread to be moved. I'm just not sure where would be appropriate to move it (most of the other forum areas are linked to specific R3 programmes and issues.)

Comment

• peterthekeys
                  • Aug 2014

Monica McCabe has posted a deeply moving tribute on the John McCabe web site:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

John McCabe's 1st piano concerto (a work I don't know),afternoon on three tomorrow.
                    Also we have just had Joybox and John playing Haydn on Radio 3.

Comment

• peterthekeys
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      John McCabe's 1st piano concerto (a work I don't know),afternoon on three tomorrow.
                      Also we have just had Joybox and John playing Haydn on Radio 3.
                      Thanks for the tip about the Piano Concerto - I don't know it either, and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                        Monica McCabe has posted a deeply moving tribute on the John McCabe web site:

http://www.johnmccabe.com/john-mccab...ruary-2015.htm
                        Thank you very much for this, which I have just read; it could not have been better written although, of course, it was so hard to have to read...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

I was quite shocked to read this response to someone expressing their sadness at John McCabe's death on the MusicWeb message board:

I found the article written by McCabe's wife very moving:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            I was quite shocked to read this response to someone expressing their sadness at John McCabe's death on the MusicWeb message board:

I found the article written by McCabe's wife very moving:
                            http://www.johnmccabe.com/illness.htm
                            Crikey Stan,very strange.

Just now on Radio 3 we heard Aubade (study No 4) and JM playing more Haydn (sonata No 39).
                            In the slot between the end of the evening concert and 10 pm.

Comment

Working...
                            X