• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

John McCabe is Dead

Composer, pianist and former director of the London College of Music John McCabe dies at the age of 75.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Terribly sad news - far too young.

This work was commissioned by the Halle Concerts Society, of which I am a member. It was recorded in quadraphonic sound, so is capable of going onto a SACD w...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

What a loss. Wonderful composer. Good pianist. Fine intellect. Lovely man.

I first met him around 1984 at a concert at the University of New England at Armidale, New South Wales. He wrote a couple of pieces for a contemporary music society there.

RIP.

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        What a loss. Wonderful composer. Good pianist. Fine intellect. Lovely man.

RIP.
        John McCabe was not a great composer but he was an honest one, full of integrity.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

I must to his 'Chagall Windows', followed by one of his Haydn sonatas recordings. A real loss to the musical world.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            John McCabe was not a great composer but he was an honest one, full of integrity.
            Hm... well, I consider his 'The Chagall Windows' to be a masterpiece and in my vocabulary that means 'great music' written by a great composer!
            And that's only one of his works.
            OF course, you are entitled to your opinion, edashtav, and so am I!

R.I.P. John McCabe The only pianist I know who managed to make Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis sound beautiful and full of feeling.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Tony View Post

R.I.P. John McCabe The only pianist I know who managed to make Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis sound beautiful and full of feeling.
              100% with you, Tony re John's skilful pianism, particularly when he was interpreting 20th century music.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

I remember Robert Simpson playing some haunting, visionary song cycle on The Innocent Ear, and revealing it as - John McCabe's Notturni ed Alba. To my delight I found it later in the local record library, apparently unplayed! It's ​on the same CD as Chagall Windows and Symphony No.2. Thus will his beautiful creations live on in any receptive ear...

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I remember Robert Simpson playing some haunting, visionary song cycle on The Innocent Ear, and revealing it as - John McCabe's Notturni ed Alba. To my delight I found it later in the local record library, apparently unplayed! It's ​on the same CD as Chagall Windows and Symphony No.2. Thus will his beautiful creations live on in any receptive ear...
                  Yes - wonderful stuff indeed!

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Some beautiful pieces have already been mentioned and I hope to discover others - he's a composer whose music I've always enjoyed getting to know.

This is very sad news. RIP John McCabe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      And it figures: both were very much into Nielsen; but imv John was the more open to 20th century idioms as a whole. I remember his performance of the Webern Variations as part of a series on him, and the way that for me he transformed what had previously been an arid exercise into a study in elegance and consequence.

As a composer, for me in many ways he continued enriching the rich tradition of 20th century English symphonism, in particular in the luxuriant third symphony, where simple melody transforms, grows, and eventually builds up into something of great complexity, intellectual and emotional depth, while on the other hand Cloudcatcher could have been by a successor to the English Pastoral school. He is someone one somehow felt one could meet and be at ease with, and I considered him one of the few 20th century composers to have successfully continued writing tonal music, at the same time as managing to incorporate modernist ideas, right up to Lutoslawsky: a lesson for those who've elected to turn their backs.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

Obits are saying that his second wife (and widow) is one Monica Smith. Would this be the same Monica Smith who wrote for Records & Recording all those years ago?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

Very fine composer indeed, as well as a thoughtful and insightful pianist.

RIP

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Chagall Windows being spun here too.
                            Also much pleasure from his recording of Howells' clavichord music (on the piano).

Have never heard (or seen) Edward II; anyone know it?

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              ... I remember his performance of the Webern Variations as part of a series on him, and the way that for me he transformed what had previously been an arid exercise into a study in elegance and consequence...
                              Oh yes. Truly superb piano-playing. And composing. With atonal Big Ben in the middle of the theme.

Comment

Working...
                              X