X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Favourite Karl Böhm recordings

Following some talk about Karl Böhm on other threads, I've been pulling out a few favourite live Böhm recordings all of which completely dispel (for me, at least) the idea that he was a "dull" conductor (an idea put about by John Culshaw in the 1950s and often repeated since). Each to her/his own of course, but whatever else they may be, I can't imagine any of these being described as dull.

Beethoven: Fidelio, live at the Met in 1960 (Sony) with Nilsson and Vickers
    Bruckner: Symphony No. 7, Bavarian Radio SO (Audite), live in 1977 (similar to the VPO studio version on DG but more flexible and dramatic)
    Strauss: Ariadne, Vienna State Opera (Orfeo), live in 1976 with Baltsa, Gruberova et al
    Strauss: Salome, Vienna State Opera (RCA), live with Rysanek et al
    Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4, Czech Philharmonic, live in 1971 (Orfeo)
    Wagner: Tristan (DG) and Meistersinger (Orfeo), from Bayreuth
    Wagner: Ring (Philps/Decca), from Bayreuth

There are plenty more where those came from. I do have some sympathy with the idea that Böhm was sometimes a more exciting conductor live than in the studio, but there's nothing unusual about that. There are some outstanding studio recordings too, especially among the later DG discs with the VPO, LSO and so on.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    Following some talk about Karl Böhm on other threads, I've been pulling out a few favourite live Böhm recordings all of which completely dispel (for me, at least) the idea that he was a "dull" conductor (an idea put about by John Culshaw in the 1950s and often repeated since). Each to her/his own of course, but whatever else they may be, I can't imagine any of these being described as dull.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7, Bavarian Radio SO (Audite), live in 1977 (similar to the VPO studio version on DG but more flexible and dramatic)
    Strauss: Ariadne, Vienna State Opera (Orfeo), live in 1976 with Baltsa, Gruberova et al

There are plenty more where those came from. I do have some sympathy with the idea that Böhm was sometimes a more exciting conductor live than in the studio, but there's nothing unusual about that. There are some outstanding studio recordings too, especially among the later DG discs with the VPO, LSO and so on.

A quick look on my shelves and I would add Bruckner 7 VPO 1943, Bruckner 3 VPO Decca and Berg Wozzeck.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Hiya makropulos, Karl Böhm is my favourite conductor. Böhm just appeals to my sensibility. I like everything of his I have heard. I especially admire his Richard Strauss, Beethoven and Mozart.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

The DG Figaro is marvellous

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

It is - and I'm also very fond of the earlier one (originally on Philips, now reissued on Guild) with Jurinac, Schöffler, et al:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Hiya makropulos, Karl Böhm is my favourite conductor. Böhm just appeals to my sensibility. I like everything of his I have heard. I especially admire his Richard Strauss, Beethoven and Mozart.
            Yes, the Strauss tone poems too, not just the operas.

I found his Mozart a bit heavy, but that may be because I bought the CDs just as HIPP was taking over the world. I have a few DG CDs, including the oboe concerto. I will dig them up and give them a listen with new, older ears.

I have a LvB Pastorale somewhere that I remember liking very much. Must dig that up too.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                • Sep 2012

Mozart: Cosi with Della Casa, Ludwig, Dermota, and Schöffler.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

There are so many of Böhm's opera recordings that I think are marvellous - but so few of his studio recordings of orchestral works that match this quality for me: the Bruckner symphonies the immediate exception that comes to mind. Oh! And a decent set of the Brahms symphonies with the BPO, too.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• JFLL
                    • Jan 2011

One of my favourites is his recording of Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante K.297b with the Berlin PO. As with his Cosi, everything seems so well-judged. And glorious playing from the Berliners.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

I saw Böhm only twice but had the great good fortune to meet him after the first of those two LSO concerts (December 19 1978. If anyone has a recording of that concert would be delighted to hear from you). The second and final occasion was in June 1980.

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned but most surprised that no-one has mentioned the Strauss Four Last Songs with Lisa della Casa and the VPO in 1953.

Others:

Bruckner 4 VPO
                      Bruckner 8 Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra
                      Bruckner 7 VPO (live 1976 Salzburg performance on the Andante label) the best performance I've heard.
                      Strauss Tod und Verklärung LSO (live 1973 Salzburg, also Andante) a truly stunning performance that is said to have reduced hard bitten LSO members to tears).
                      Mozart Sinfonia Concertante BPO (as mentioned by JFLL, a lovely recording)
                      Mozart Piano Concertos 19 & 23 VPO/Pollini
                      Schubert Symphony No 9 Dresden Staatskapelle (live 1979)
                      Wagner Act 3 of Die Meistersinger recorded in Dresden 1938.
                      Beethoven 6 VPO
                      Mozart Symphony No 33 VPO (live at Salzburg 1966)
                      Schoenberg Pelleas und Melisande VPO (live in Vienna 1969)
                      Wagner Ring 1966/7 Bayreuth
                      Wagner Tristan und Isolde 1966 Bayreuth, not the DG recording but a single stunning live performance on the Frequenz label. Mind blowing.

That'll be enough for now, others will no doubt come to mind.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I saw Böhm only twice but had the great good fortune to meet him after the first of those two LSO concerts (December 19 1978. If anyone has a recording of that concert would be delighted to hear from you). The second and final occasion was in June 1980.

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned but most surprised that no-one has mentioned the Strauss Four Last Songs with Lisa della Casa and the VPO in 1953.

Others:

Bruckner 4 VPO
                        Bruckner 8 Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra
                        Bruckner 7 VPO (live 1976 Salzburg performance on the Andante label) the best performance I've heard.
                        Strauss Tod und Verklärung LSO (live 1973 Salzburg, also Andante) a truly stunning performance that is said to have reduced hard bitten LSO members to tears).
                        Mozart Sinfonia Concertante BPO (as mentioned by JFLL, a lovely recording)
                        Mozart Piano Concertos 19 & 23 VPO/Pollini
                        Schubert Symphony No 9 Dresden Staatskapelle (live 1979)
                        Wagner Act 3 of Die Meistersinger recorded in Dresden 1938.
                        Beethoven 6 VPO
                        Mozart Symphony No 33 VPO (live at Salzburg 1966)
                        Schoenberg Pelleas und Melisande VPO (live in Vienna 1969)
                        Wagner Ring 1966/7 Bayreuth
                        Wagner Tristan und Isolde 1966 Bayreuth, not the DG recording but a single stunning live performance on the Frequenz label. Mind blowing.

That'll be enough for now, others will no doubt come to mind.
                        Nice list. I limited my original post to live (or more-or-less live) performances, hence no 4 Last Songs, nor either of the DG Heldenleben recordings, or the New World, or Tchaik 4-6, or Schumann 4 (VPO) or the late VPO Jupiter Symphony or a host of others.

The LSO concerts I remember were 1) in June 1975: Mozart 29, Don Juan and Schubert 9; 2). Then in 1977: Schubert 2 and Brahms 2 (the one that came out on BBC Legends), but I missed the Mozart Jupiter and Tchaikovsky 4 in 1977 and I couldn't go to the concert in December 1978 (Was that Beethoven 7, Schubert 5 and something else?). I certainly remember an extraordinary Dvorak New World from 1980 at the Festival Hall. The LSO/Böhm relationship only lasted a few years, but it yielded some wonderful results.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Nice list. I limited my original post to live (or more-or-less live) performances, hence no 4 Last Songs, nor either of the DG Heldenleben recordings, or the New World, or Tchaik 4-6, or Schumann 4 (VPO) or the late VPO Jupiter Symphony or a host of others.

The LSO concerts I remember were 1) in June 1975: Mozart 29, Don Juan and Schubert 9; 2). Then in 1977: Schubert 2 and Brahms 2 (the one that came out on BBC Legends), but I missed the Mozart Jupiter and Tchaikovsky 4 in 1977 and I couldn't go to the concert in December 1978 (Was that Beethoven 7, Schubert 5 and something else?). I certainly remember an extraordinary Dvorak New World from 1980 at the Festival Hall. The LSO/Böhm relationship only lasted a few years, but it yielded some wonderful results.
                          The December 1978 LSO concert began with Weber's Freischütz Overture, then Schubert 5 and Beethoven 7. I remember that Dvorak New World very well (preceded by Beethoven 4) and that was Böhm's last concert with the LSO as far as I know. I tried to get him to sign my programme post-concert but was told that he was too tired to accept visitors.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• akiralx
                            • Oct 2011

Brahms: Sym 2 VPO (DG) - one of my favourite recordings of the work
                            Mozart: Piano Concerto 9 K271 Gulda (Orfeo, live)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Yes, the Strauss tone poems too, not just the operas.

I found his Mozart a bit heavy, but that may be because I bought the CDs just as HIPP was taking over the world. I have a few DG CDs, including the oboe concerto. I will dig them up and give them a listen with new, older ears.

I have a LvB Pastorale somewhere that I remember liking very much. Must dig that up too.
                              HIya Beefy, I love Böhm's Beethoven symphony cycle with the VPO. I had this set on vinyl LP from the Britannia Record Club now finally re-issued as one set as one of the Decca Collectors Edition. I don't mind big-band Beethoven or Mozart on the other hand I like HIP of Beethoven or Mozart too.

Comment

Working...
                              X