X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Tune?

I've just watched a film called Hysteria - very amusing - and it seems based on true events.

There is a very recognisable tune, which I'm sure is based on something quite well known - well to some of us, but I can't figure it out.

Anyone got any ideas? It's the one with the horns etc.

I hope the film itself doesn't prove too shocking.

• Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I've just watched a film called Hysteria - very amusing - and it seems based on true events.

There is a very recognisable tune, which I'm sure is based on something quite well known - well to some of us, but I can't figure it out.

I hope the film itself doesn't prove too shocking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1435513/
    Well, I just watched the trailer but I didn't hear any tunes with horns...

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Well, I just watched the trailer but I didn't hear any tunes with horns...
      Fair enough - I'll listen to it again. Thanks for giving it a go.

The tune reminds me a little of Prokofiev - I'll keep trying.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

The only tune I recognised is, I think, a Rossini overture, possibly La Scala Di Seta.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

In the trailer there is indeed a Rossini overture - which I think Alain has identified correctly. I don't recall that being in the actual soundtrack.

There is just a touch of the theme I'm looking for around 57 secs into the trailer, but it's not a very long excerpt. Again - I think it may be different in the soundtrack.

The theme has been "borrowed" I'm sure by one of the film composers for this film - it's not quite the same as the work which I'm trying to identify.

Comment

• amateur51

In the trailer there is indeed a Rossini overture - which I think Alain has identified correctly. I don't recall that being in the actual soundtrack.

There is just a touch of the theme I'm looking for around 57 secs into the trailer, but it's not a very long excerpt. Again - I think it may be different in the soundtrack.

The theme has been "borrowed" I'm sure by one of the film composers for this film - it's not quite the same as the work which I'm trying to identify.
            Verily Dave2002's clues are worthy of the current crop of Alphabetical Associations over on Platform 3.

See you there soon i hope Dave2002

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Verily Dave2002's clues are worthy of the current crop of Alphabetical Associations over on Platform 3.

See you there soon i hope Dave2002
              I've not played AA(3) for quite some time. Maybe!

Comment

• John Wright
                • Mar 2007

Dave, if you scroll down, the soundtrack lists only these tunes:

Rule Britannia. Written by Thomas Augustine Arne. Performed by The Band of H.M. Royal Marines

Waltz No. 1 in E flat major. Written by Frédéric Chopin. Performed by Idil Biret

Nocturne No. 2 in E flat Major, Op. 9,2. Written by Frédéric Chopin.
                - - -

John W

Comment

• hedgehog

Fair enough - I'll listen to it again. Thanks for giving it a go.

The tune reminds me a little of Prokofiev - I'll keep trying.
                  Around the 52 - 57 second mark there are some rather loud bassoon bits plus strings which remind me a lot of the Prokofiev "Classical Symphony" too Dave, but whether it's a direct borrowing or the 1 millioneth invention of the wheel would be hard to judge (though I guess splice & dice & mix is how it's mostly done these days).

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Looks like a good film! Thanks.

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Yes it looks to be fun, especially as it stars the delightful Maggie Gyllenhaal, and our local girl Sheridan Smith.

However the way YouTube works, once this finished it featured trailers for more films and, as you do, I casually clicked in this one.

Would Wagner and Mozart have approved?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X