Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

I'm not sure what the "blushing with shame" emoticon is but, on checking again Disc 10 in the earlier 22 disc 'Works of Igor Stravinsky' box and comparing the two performances, the repeat does seem to be restored. The timings are, in fact, 1'57" in the earlier box and 2'20" in the new one. Nor do my ears do not detect any cutting and pasting. Given the general care which has been lavished on the new box, I'm relieved that a wrong seems to have been put right. But I, like Bryn, will await Pulcinella's expert confirmation.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

To my surprise it turns out the reason Movements replete with repeat is not shown as being newly remastered is that it was issued in 2014 on this download only album (which entirely escaped my attention):

Just listened to the 320 kbps mp3 via QOBUZ. A lossless version is available there. Just the first movement costs €1.59. The version at amazon.co.uk claims to last but 1' 57", but that might simply be an error.

I have now caved in and ordered the new box. Due to pick it up on my way back from work on Thursday.
      Last edited by Bryn; 19-10-15, 22:10. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Oh dear...just seen that I am required to pronounce judgement.
        Off to see Henry V live from Stratford tonight but will try to find time to listen with the score tomorrow and will report back.
        But I too spotted that it didn't seem to have been remastered, so wondered (and haven't got round to that CD yet).
        I seem to remember that the first note in another piece (one of the Eight instrumental miniatures?) was missing in the 22CD set too. Anyone with a better memory than me?

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Breaking myself in gently: the score of the Eight instrumental miniatures is MUCH easier to follow than that for Movements (don't know what the later style is called, but it only shows systems for instruments that are playing, so looks as disjointed as it sounds!).
          Yes, the opening note of the sixth miniature has been restored.
          All boding well, especially given HD's comments and blushes reported above!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Well Bryn, you won't be disappointed: the first movement of Movements is now restored and complete!

I have the original big black box 22CD edition, in which Movements is Vol V, SMK 46295.
            Movement timings for Movements (help!) are given as 1'57, 1'45, 1'07, 1'36, 2'01.
            I assume that the same pressing is used in the slimline 22CD set (teamsaint has this, I think, and might confirm if others have not done first).

It is CD24 in the new original covers edition, with cover labelled as MS 6272.
            Timings in booklet are 2:20, 1:34, 1:12, 1:32, 2:20.

Certainly having the first time bars and not the repeat and then the second time bar was nonsense, so hurrah for Sony for getting it right at last.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Well Bryn, you won't be disappointed: the first movement of Movements is now restored and complete!

I have the original big black box 22CD edition, in which Movements is Vol V, SMK 46295.
              Movement timings for Movements (help!) are given as 1'57, 1'45, 1'07, 1'36, 2'01.
              I assume that the same pressing is used in the slimline 22CD set (teamsaint has this, I think, and might confirm if others have not done first).

Certainly having the first time bars and not the repeat and then the second time bar was nonsense, so hurrah for Sony for getting it right at last.
              Those are indeed the timings for the work on the 2007 set, Pulcers.

Keep up the good work finding those missing bits and bobs......

Oh, and the single CD that Bryn referred to is available on Spotify, if anybody doesn't want to shell out for the new set.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Yes, I got the 'black box' edition too. I recall it costing a similar sum to the new one which I collected on the way to work this morning. Not much impressed with Taruskin's contribution. He should know better that to pontificate on a subject, the Pleyel Pleyela, re. which he is so clearly ignorant. Rex Lawson would have his guts for garters! Now where's that enclosed libretto mentioned on the back of the slip-case for the preliminary versions of Les Noces?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Now where's that enclosed libretto mentioned on the back of the slip-case for the preliminary versions of Les Noces?
                  The same place as that for The Rake mentioned on the back of its double sleeve, I guess!
                  Can't justify keeping the big black box (payment in kind for helping out for a few days in a Bristol CD shop many years ago: don't tell HMRC!) just for the individual booklets, though, not that original Les Noces is in that.
                  Are the words of the versions different, not just the orchestration?
                  Same thing happened with the Sony Boulez box (Gurrelieder, Ravel melodies, etc)!

Hope you enjoy the new box though, Bryn.
                  Movements sounded much brighter to me in its new incarnation when I did the quick first movement comparison this morning.

Comment

• Roehre

The same place as that for The Rake mentioned on the back of its double sleeve, I guess!
                    Can't justify keeping the big black box (payment in kind for helping out for a few days in a Bristol CD shop many years ago: don't tell HMRC!) just for the individual booklets, though, not that original Les Noces is in that....
                    I've got the original 31LP set from 1982 as well as the black box, and I definitely keep both (as there aren't any
                    missing bits the LP-recordings)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Hope you enjoy the new box though, Bryn.
                      Oh I'm sure I will. Currently listening to the 1946 recording of the Symphony of Psalms. The 1931 recording is not included in the box, yet my Andante Vol. II set gives the source as Columbia LFX 179-181. It will be interesting to compare the transfers of those recordings found in both the box and in Andante Vols. II and III (I don't have Vol. I). I have not checked yet, but I probably have alternative transfers of nearly all the recordings in the box (not the previously unreleased 1966 Craft conducted recording of the Mass, of course).

Comment

Working...
                      X