X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Christian Cannabich

I'm currently listening to some of Christian Cannabich's music for Les fêtes du Serailles, which appears to have been a ballet performed at the Mannheim Court. There only seems to be one CD or collection, which includes various other ad hoc "tracks". What is known about this piece? Who was the choreographer, and who put on the "show"? Also, what does the title "Les fêtes du Serailles" actually mean?

Seems to have a "Turkish" flavour, so perhaps in a similar vein to Mozart's Die Entführung aus dem Serail/Il Seraglio - perhaps that is the theme.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Also, what does the title "Les fêtes du Serailles" actually mean?
    Odd. 'Serailles' looks like a feminine plural which shouldn't be preceded by 'du' (masculine singular). Pace the various references on the internet - including CD covers - Grove gives the work as Les fêtes du Serail. http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/pre...D=LM002&path=2
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... I note that the CORO recording gives it a diaeresis - Les Fêtes du Seraïlles

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... I note that the CORO recording gives it a diaeresis - Les Fêtes du Seraïlles
        Oh! perhaps it's meant to be Sérâïllès?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
        X