X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Brahms’s Second Cello Concerto

In the October edition of Gramophone there is a picture of Maurice Gendron being riveting in Brahms’s Second Cello Concerto. Wow, that’s some thing to really look forward to. I didn’t know he had written one never mind two cello concertos. Can't wait to hear them.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 26-10-14, 10:36.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Don't they employ a sub-editor? Mistakes like this can easily be corrected before the magazine goes to press. In the event, Gramophone make fools of themselves and their authority gets diminished. Things like this would never have happened when the Pollard family owned the magazine.

On a lighter note, there aren't that many second attempts at a cello concerto are there? Shostakovich is the only well known example that springs to mind.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Don't they employ a sub-editor? Mistakes like this can easily be corrected before the magazine goes to press. In the event, Gramophone make fools of themselves and their authority gets diminished. Things like this would never have happened when the Pollard family owned the magazine.

On a lighter note, there aren't that many second attempts at a cello concerto are there? Shostakovich is the only well known example that springs to mind.
      Colin Matthews? Not as well known as Shostakovich, admittedly, but...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Colin Matthews? Not as well known as Shostakovich, admittedly, but...
        sounds interesting.

Haydn?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
          • Nov 2010

Martinu, Saint-Saens, P Glass, Penderecki, Kabalevsky, V Herbert, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos, Rautavaara and Dvorak, as there is an earlier concerto which Dvorak did not orchestrate.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            ...On a lighter note, there aren't that many second attempts at a cello concerto are there? Shostakovich is the only well known example that springs to mind.
            20C: Badings, Bosmans, Jolivet, Kabalevsky, Martinu, Milhaud, Penderecki, Pfitzner, Prokofiev, Rautavaara, Röntgen [3!], Schnittke, villa Lobos
            (and 19C Dvorak, Rubinstein, Saint Saens, Vieuxtemps)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              In the October edition of Gramophone there is a picture of Maurice Gendron being riveting in Brahms’s Second Cello Concerto. Wow, that’s some thing to really look forward to. I didn’t know he had written one never mind two cello concertos. Can't wait to hear them.
              Wouldn't that have been special?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Wouldn't that have been special?
                And Brahms was thinking about a celloconcerto after he heard the Dvorak concerto in the year before he died.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  Martinu, Saint-Saens, P Glass, Penderecki, Kabalevsky, V Herbert, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos, Rautavaara and Dvorak, as there is an earlier concerto which Dvorak did not orchestrate.
                  ... and it shows; it's not at all good.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    And Brahms was thinking about a celloconcerto after he heard the Dvorak concerto in the year before he died.
                    Roehre,didn't Brahms do some work on the Dvorak concerto,as a copyist or such ?
                    Also I think he said something like 'if I'd known such a work were possible,I'd have written one myself' after seeing the score.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Roehre,didn't Brahms do some work on the Dvorak concerto,as a copyist or such ?
                      Also I think he said something like 'if I'd known such a work were possible,I'd have written one myself' after seeing the score.
                      I am not sure ER, but seeing/hearing the Dvorak concerto made Brahms making that remark, made only months before his death. Brahms saw many scores of Dvorak's before or not later than the moment of publication as Dvorak was heavily backed by Brahms: the latter strongly promoted the former's works in correspondence with his publishers. It's this relationship which also is at the base of the Dvorak instrumentations of some of Brahms' Hungarian Dances.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I am not sure ER, but seeing/hearing the Dvorak concerto made Brahms making that remark, made only months before his death. Brahms saw many scores of Dvorak's before or not later than the moment of publication as Dvorak was heavily backed by Brahms: the latter strongly promoted the former's works in correspondence with his publishers. It's this relationship which also is at the base of the Dvorak instrumentations of some of Brahms' Hungarian Dances.
                        Just A little more info on Brahms' work on the Dvorak concerto.
                        Thoughts and impressions about musicians, composers and their music
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Fictional (goof) cello concertos appear to be a literary genre! IIRC the first vol of John Suchet's fictional biography of LvB says that he wrote two such in his early years, presumably orchestrations of the Op 5 sonatas??

But for Class I professional howlers I take my hat off to Harriet Smith on p52 of the Oct Gramophone. In reviewing Jennifer Pike's Chandos recital of Dvorak, Janacek and Suk she says of the latter's Four Pieces op 17 "The Suk, too, is compelling, even though she's up against competiton from the composer himself." This is Suk/ Panenka on Supraphon, issued here c.1968.

Hands up those who knew that Josef Suk the composer had laid this down in stereo some 33 years after his own death. Most of us thought the fiddler with Panenka was, as usual, the composer's grandson.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            But for Class I professional howlers I take my hat off to Harriet Smith on p52 of the Oct Gramophone. In reviewing Jennifer Pike's Chandos recital of Dvorak, Janacek and Suk she says of the latter's Four Pieces op 17 "The Suk, too, is compelling, even though she's up against competiton from the composer himself." This is Suk/ Panenka on Supraphon, issued here c.1968.

Hands up those who knew that Josef Suk the composer had laid this down in stereo some 33 years after his own death. Most of us thought the fiddler with Panenka was, as usual, the composer's grandson.
                            At one time, Gramophone used to have a small section where mistakes from the previous edition were corrected. Most of those I remember were simple typos or cases where the reviewer's mind might have wandered, not the sort of howlers reported here. A good sub-editor ought to pounce on stuff like this and they should never make it into print.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Rolmill
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post

Yes, I just read that review this afternoon and thought "shurely shome mistake......" - it is hard to see how it could be put down to a misprint or editorial cock-up, so it must be the reviewer's own ignorance on display, which is quite embarrassing for a former editor of both IRR and BBCMM (and deputy editor of Gramophone).

Comment

Working...
                              X