• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AjAjAjH
    • Nov 2010

Halle Orchestra. 09/10/2014

Fabulous concert last night.

Shostakovitch: Violin Concerto No. 1. Viktoria Mullova (violin)
    Ravel: 'Daphnis and Chloe' complete.

Ms Mullova was on top form and if her interpretation of the 2nd movement was not as manic as on her recording with Andre Previn, the beauty of the first and third movements more than compensated. A memorable performance.

The performance of 'Daphnis and Chloe' was also one which will stay in the memory for a long time. The huge orchestra was on top form in a performance conducted by Mark Elder with sensitivity and passion. Quite rightly Mark Elder highlighted the performance of the principal flautist for particular praise. The Halle choir were as remarkable as ever.

It was also good to see the Bridgewater Hall so full and the animated conversations in the tram on the way home afterwards. indicated how much those travelling on the tram to Rochdale were as moved as I was.

Writing about 'Daphnis and Chloe' recently, a Times critic (I can't remember which) wrote 'With 2 good suites from this ballet, who needs the complete score?'
    It's performances like the one I heard last evening that leads me to think that there is room for performances of all three.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The Hallé Orchestra is branded as "The Hallé" nowadays, which I think is rather silly, as The Hallé is now a group of two orchestras and two choirs. It's a bit like renaming the Lindsay String Quartet as "The Lindsays", so that only people "in the know" know what it is.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
      Fabulous concert last night.

Shostakovitch: Violin Concerto No. 1. Viktoria Mullova (violin)
      Ravel: 'Daphnis and Chloe' complete.

Ms Mullova was on top form and if her interpretation of the 2nd movement was not as manic as on her recording with Andre Previn, the beauty of the first and third movements more than compensated. A memorable performance.

The performance of 'Daphnis and Chloe' was also one which will stay in the memory for a long time. The huge orchestra was on top form in a performance conducted by Mark Elder with sensitivity and passion. Quite rightly Mark Elder highlighted the performance of the principal flautist for particular praise. The Halle choir were as remarkable as ever.

It was also good to see the Bridgewater Hall so full and the animated conversations in the tram on the way home afterwards. indicated how much those travelling on the tram to Rochdale were as moved as I was.

Writing about 'Daphnis and Chloe' recently, a Times critic (I can't remember which) wrote 'With 2 good suites from this ballet, who needs the complete score?'
      It's performances like the one I heard last evening that leads me to think that there is room for performances of all three.
      Hiya AjAjAjH, I loved the concert last night too especially Mullova's playing. Next its the BBC Phil tomorrow (Sat) at the Bridgewater Hall.
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 11-10-14, 12:33.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

What a pity that this concert wasn't on Radio 3 though I don't suppose it quite fitted into the 'Brahms Experience'. Dull fare on offer in Live in Concert on R3 since the Proms finished in my opinion.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Simon B
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          What a pity that this concert wasn't on Radio 3 though I don't suppose it quite fitted into the 'Brahms Experience'. Dull fare on offer in Live in Concert on R3 since the Proms finished in my opinion.
          Possibly putting the low-key (relatively speaking IMO) Proms programme into perspective a bit?

Anyway, this evening (11/10) - BBCPO live from the Bridgewater, including Shostakovich 4. (Plus Sibelius Rakastava and the Nielsen Clarinet Concerto). Not a pedestrian programme by any means...

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            The Hallé Orchestra is branded as "The Hallé" nowadays, which I think is rather silly, as The Hallé is now a group of two orchestras and two choirs. It's a bit like renaming the Lindsay String Quartet as "The Lindsays", so that only people "in the know" know what it is.
            Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie, I'm not sure that there is even the word 'The' before the word 'Hallé' anymore.

Comment

• Tevot
              • Nov 2010

Hello there,

Sounds like the audience of the Shostakovich / Ravel concert on Thursday night had a real treat. No such fare here in beautiful downtown Nanjing

An interesting review of the concert in the DT if forumites haven't already seen it...

Viktoria Mullova gave a turbo-charged performance of Shostakovich with the Hallé Orchestra under Mark Elder at the Bridgewater Hall, says David Fanning

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Something else I will have to catch up on!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X