X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Isn't education something that everyone has experience of, not just teachers? I was trying to put the point of view of those at the receiving end, not the imparting end. Hasn't anyone who has experienced education a right to have and express an opinion on it, not just the professionals?
    The problem (IMV) with the way in which so many politicians (and some others) have with education seems to be summed up by the fact that they either

a: Had a wonderful time at school and want to try and ensure that everyone has the same experience that they had
    or
    b: Had a terrible time and want to try and prevent others from having the same experience that they had

If you ask parents to decide everything they will want more streaming (as long as their children are in the "top" stream) more petty uniform nonsense and so on.

Some people (Sir Ken Robinson for example) know shed loads about education and should be listened to MORE than idiot politicians who seem to think that creating some kind of mini prep-school is the solution for EVERYONE.

Whether its Shakespeare or not matters less than the context in which it is encountered and the skill and enthusiasm of the person delivering.
    What was amazing about parts (PARTS) of my own school music education was that the worst teachers could manage to make something as absorbing and life changing as music into such a dull and mind numbing experience. I'm not a great fan of Titian's paintings but remember spending a couple of hours absolutely transfixed by someone talking about them in front of one at the National Gallery.

(When you feel ill DON'T google your symptoms )

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      The problem (IMV) with the way in which so many politicians (and some others) have with education seems to be summed up by the fact that they either

a: Had a wonderful time at school and want to try and ensure that everyone has the same experience that they had
      or
      b: Had a terrible time and want to try and prevent others from having the same experience that they had
      ... why is that a problem ? Both responses seem pretty good to me.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... why is that a problem ? Both responses seem pretty good to me.
        It's dangerous to think that a small experience is universal, most people only go to 2 or 3 schools.

(for a start)

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Isn't education something that everyone has experience of, not just teachers? I was trying to put the point of view of those at the receiving end, not the imparting end...
          But you did pull rank a bit by citing your mother's experience, didn't you?

(I wish I could fllow the discussion properly but I'm away from home and relying on my phone which will only give me the last post and a 'thread' I can't follow)

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            But you did pull rank a bit by citing your mother's experience, didn't you?
            The point of that was to show what she had detected of the experiences of the students, which led her to form her own view. I think it's a mistake just to rely on one's own experience as a pupil as it might have been down to the particular teacher.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

But perhaps she did not detect everything?

The mark I got at O level for Eng Lit was my lowest - far lower than at A or S level, and yet I loved Shakespeare then every bit as much as I did later. I just didn't manage to impress the examiner.

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                But perhaps she did not detect everything?
                Who does? And she almost certainly had scripts that revealed enthusiasm for and interest in the subject, but her view was formed on the basis of the majority of the papers she marked (as well as her experience of teaching for some years).

Anyway, it's clear our views are different on this matter, and having been accused of spouting b*ll*cks, I think I shall exit this discussion before I spout any more.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

and having been accused of spouting b*ll*cks,
                  Don't you miss Simon and Mr Pee ?

Comment

Working...
                  X