• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wonnacott
    • Nov 2010

Parents think classical music is 'elitist' and only listen to pop

The Telegraph this morning.
    I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.
  • kea
    • Dec 2013

The younger generation seems to be riding a massive tide of conservatism so I can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

The article is all rather anecdotal.

Incidentally, Strange things happen to people when they become parents...many things are learned...some quickly, some slowly. Some problematic emotions can be released.

Anyway, look in the mirror, music obsessed radio 3 forumite.
      Not everybody cares as much as the person you see there.
      Just because music is everywhere, , doesn't mean it always has great value.
      Remember Soma in Brave New World .

I would suggest that parents of school age kids have a tendency to think these things about classical music:

1. It is good for the CV.
      2.there isn't much money in it.
      Last edited by teamsaint; 30-09-14, 07:55.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        The article is all rather anecdotal...
        Yes, I agree. Those parents who think classical music is elitist are those who think it's elitist. So? Perhaps all their lives they've thought that because they've hardly ever been exposed to it (or been encouraged to expose themselves to it).

No doubt they're a majority. But when has it ever been different?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Marin Alsop , however, criticised what she regarded as elitist practices ( disapproving of clapping between movements etc ) on Desert Island Discs on Sunday .

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            The article is all rather anecdotal.
            What I find interesting is that the base of the story seems to be Catrin Finch's involvement with the BBC's new 'Ten Pieces' project. The 'news angle' is the Daily Telegraph's. Standard journalistic technique - get someone chatting and select your 'story'.

But, as an angle - regardless of the anecdotal non-rigour, probably deriving from CF's off-the-cuff comments - not without interest.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

it seems to me that the Telegraph calling anything 'elitist' is a pot and kettle imbroglio at best and a bit of sniping ... have the Barclays bought shares in Classic FM?
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

I'm involved with a youth orchestra, and what I really do not get in all this 'elitist' stuff is that many - and I do mean many - of the kids in the orchestra play fiddles in ceilidh bands, drum or guitar in rock bands, solo in jazz groups etc AND play Tchaikovsky in the Youth Orchestra.

The kids just play what they want to play regardless of genre and have no problem with it. It seems to be adults bent on meaningless journalistic shorthand classifications that have the problem.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  The kids just play what they want to play regardless of genre and have no problem with it. It seems to be adults bent on meaningless journalistic shorthand classifications that have the problem.
                  Right.

Plus I don't see anywhere in the article where Catrin Finch is quoted as using the word "elitist", that looks very much like something put in to spin her interview into a "story" - since no doubt if it were just her talking about music the Torygraph would consider that elitist...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    I'm involved with a youth orchestra, and what I really do not get in all this 'elitist' stuff is that many - and I do mean many - of the kids in the orchestra play fiddles in ceilidh bands, drum or guitar in rock bands, solo in jazz groups etc AND play Tchaikovsky in the Youth Orchestra.

The key being in your words 'I'm involved with a youth orchestra'. Who, involved in writing these news stories, is similarly involved? They're just as likely to be the parents who only listen to pop music and regard clssical music as 'elitist' ...
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I suppose that expecting this kind or article to make some sort of logical coherent argument is a rather optimistic.

"Quite often it is the kids will come home and introduce classical music to their parents,” she said. “It is something the parents would never think of listening to.”

followed by

"Ms Finch said it is "up to the adult generation" to introduce youngsters to a “broad spectrum” of music, rather than letting them listen to incessant pop."

Follow the logic?No, me neither.

Full of,( probably) journalist created discontinuity. And there is the assertion that classical music is easy to find, which it is, whilst conceding that there is a wealth of other entertainment competing for kids attention.

A wasted opportunity, which at best gives a little publicity to the well meaning scheme, and at worst is vaguely divisive

Incidentally, what drives (younger) people to live music these days is events. it is event driven. People want to be at Glasto, T in the Park, the Proms, latitude, whatever.
                      Folks want to be at and be seen at these things. Understanding this isn't difficult, but is important. bemoaning the R2 listening habits of a generation of parents isn't a lot of use.

( Check out attendances and ticket prices at big events of whatever kind, and compare to sales of physical media for confirmation).
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 30-09-14, 14:25.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I never found found any musicians elitist in my badly paid work in an orchestrial and hire library work, neither job seemed to be elitist and my parents seemed to take ir allin their stride, being neither in the music world but loving the London theatre

What a load of rubbish

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

I agree Salymap. I can't say I've met loads of musicians but the ones I have met don't come across as elitist in the slightest.

Slightly off topic, one thing which also makes me wonder is when my brother says he's paid (e.g. £50) for a ticket to see someone and I think I could have gone to 4 or 5 concerts for that money!
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

An ex-Royal harpist!? What a most imaginative choice for dispelling the idea that classical music s not ‘a frivolous pursuit for the wealthy’!

What is it about classical music that people get so worked up about? Are there similar ‘initiatives’ by Radio 4 to introduce primary school children to literature, something like ‘Ten Chapters: World Greatest Literature’? They are too young, or they have more suitable books to read? I’d say much the same about classical music. Children will listen or read if they like that sort of things without adults huffing around them.

Posted by ts #3
                            Anyway, look in the mirror, music obsessed radio 3 forumite.
                            Not everybody cares as much as the person you see there.
                            Just because music is everywhere,, doesn't mean it always has great value.
                            Remember Soma in Brave New World .

I would suggest that parents of school age kids have a tendency to think these things about classical music:

1. It is good for the CV.
                            2.there isn't much money in it.
                            Couldn’t agree more, though bringing in someone like Nicola Benedetti may be hinting a glamour element (though Nicola B is not to be blamed).

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              I never found found any musicians elitist in my badly paid work in an orchestrial and hire library work, neither job seemed to be elitist and my parents seemed to take ir allin their stride, being neither in the music world but loving the London theatre

What a load of rubbish
                              I think it is the audience, not the musicians, who for some reason are considered elitist. The whole concept of elitism is a recent invention as far as I'm concerned (I have no evidence to back that up!), and I've yet to work out exactly what it means or why it's considered a bad thing.

As you say, Salymap, what a load of rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                              X