• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blotto
    • Jun 2024

Christopher Hogwood has died

Some losses come as a blow.

British conductor Christopher Hogwood dies aged 73 following an illness.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

A fine musician and a broadcaster with real standards.

Who can remember The Young Idea? No talking down to the audience at all.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

And only 73.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Shocking news. A great loss.

RIP

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Huge loss to us all. In a sense changed the way we listen to, research and play music.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

A huge loss, tragic. I fear they don't make them like that, anymore.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Huge loss to us all. In a sense changed the way we listen to, research and play music.
              Christopher Hogwood was an enormously inspirational conductor. Restrained in gesture and economical with words, nevertheless his performances and recordings always felt instinctively 'right' and deeply-felt musically. I had the honour and privilege of playing for him in The Academy of Ancient Music from 1983 to 2009, some of the most enjoyable music-making of my life.
              He wore his immense scholarship lightly, and his concerts and rehearsals were always musically enlightening and 'fun'. There was no sense of personal 'ego' with Chris and although he had a lovely, dignified authority it never ever became authoritarian.
              The musical world will be a much poorer place without Christopher Hogwood.
              R.I.P.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

So now we can be quite sure he'll never complete his sadly curtailed series of the Haydn symphonies (shame on Decca!) I snapped it up recently at a silly price from Amazon.it thanks to pointers on the Bargains thread. Many hours of pleasure still ahead

RIP indeed
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Hard to believe he is no longer with us. The pioneering Early Music Consort he founded with David Munrow came to Durham when I was student there late 60's and my last contact with his music-making was a disc I was listening to only yesterday with some Purcell sung by soprano, Barbara Bonney.

A favourite recording I may well listen to tonight is the Mozart C minor Mass.

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

I have only begun to know about early music in more organised way and his book Handel gave me the solid base on which to build my understanding. It’s impossible to think that there will be no more new Hogwood CDs.

R.I.P.
                    Last edited by doversoul1; 24-09-14, 19:27.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

A sad loss indeed.

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

Very sad to hear this. Only yesterday I was watching a lecture of his from 2011 on the Gresham College website, and it showed what a fine communicator he was. His contribution to the world of music has been immense.

RIP.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Time for a repeat?

Another chance to hear Catherine Bott's interview with the late Christopher Hogwood.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• John Wright
                            • Mar 2007

This is so sad, 73 is not old nowadays. Whenever the R3 announcer said 'conducted by Christopher Hogwood' I knew I would enjoy the music. On my shelves several Haydn, some Vivaldi (with Emma Kirkby) and Handel.
                            - - -

John W

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                              Christopher Hogwood was an enormously inspirational conductor. Restrained in gesture and economical with words, nevertheless his performances and recordings always felt instinctively 'right' and deeply-felt musically. I had the honour and privilege of playing for him in The Academy of Ancient Music from 1983 to 2009, some of the most enjoyable music-making of my life.
                              He wore his immense scholarship lightly, and his concerts and rehearsals were always musically enlightening and 'fun'. There was no sense of personal 'ego' with Chris and although he had a lovely, dignified authority it never ever became authoritarian.
                              The musical world will be a much poorer place without Christopher Hogwood.
                              R.I.P.
                              Tony, I'd only add to that perfect tribute some personal reminiscence which underpins your wonderful experiences with him, namely that I had the pleasure of meeting him as a result of having gone to the same school (same one as Nick McGegan too, oddly enough) and I was a huge fan of the man as well as the musician.

I was stunned to hear the news today (and to realise that he was 73!!)

His wonderful Messiah, which was the first of his recordings I bought (on cassette) and which he signed for me, will be playing this evening.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X