X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    I recorded this TV broadcast late last night and will be viewing it later this morning.

I will post my reactions to the programme later today.

Did anyone else view it?

HS
    No, but have recorded it. Will be interested to see peoples reactions.

OG

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Did anyone else view it?

HS
      No was out at some real live music but will catch it on Sky+

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        No was out at some real live music but will catch it on Sky+
        Well, I've watched the first hour of this programme and already have a few observations.

The programme itself:

I don't care at what hour Channel 4 chose to air this programme. I consider the constant use of the F___ word by the participants, (including the presenter) to be both unnecessary and offensive.

As regards the so-called addicts, my assessment is that none of them would be capable of holding down any job - whether it be in an office, the media, industry or any other profession without lapsing into some form of addiction; alcohol, tranquilisers or hard drugs.

My personal advice to them would be to quote a well used phrase "... if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

In my life as an orchestral player, Manager of three orchestras and, since the age of 45, as a Productivity and Management Consultant to many Organisations; (ranging from Rank Xerox International, Oxford University Press, Nelco Engineering, The Manpower Services Comission and The National Health Service,) I have been involved in many of the requirements of such work; including:

Job Evaluation
        Holding and chairing Auditions and Appointment Panels
        Staff Recruitment
        Staff Counselling.

Quote: ".. I always wanted to play in an orchestra."

So join your local Amateur orchestra (many of whom play a wide variety of classical repertoire to the satisfaction of the players and their family and friends in the audience)

There's nothing to stop you from choosing to sit at the back of the section and just miming the notes if you feel terrified and you will become used to sitting there and adding your contribution to the music when you feel able.

A poor programme in my view, choosing the wrong people - and presenting the wrong picture.

Hornspieler

BTW To the aspiring performer:
        The passing of Grade VIII of the Associated Board is no more than an indication that you may benefit from additional tuition to bring your playing up to a performance standard. The work, the determination and the ambition is up to you (if you feel that you would be able to withstand the heat in that kitchen).

Best of luck - but be realistic, not idealistic.
        Last edited by Hornspieler; 28-08-14, 15:04. Reason: typos

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Well, I've watched the first hour of this programme and already have a few observations.

The programme itself:

I don't care at what hour Channel 4 chose to air this programme. I consider the constant use of the F___ word by the participants, (including the presenter) to be both unnecessary and offensive.

As regards the so-called addicts, my assessment is that none of them would be capable of holding down any job - whether it be in an office, the media, industry or any other profession without lapsing into some form of addiction; alcohol, tranquilisers or hard drugs.

My personal advice to them would be to quote a well used phrase "... if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

In my life as an orchestral player, Manager of three orchestras and, since the age of 45, as a Productivity and Management Consultant to many Organisations; (ranging from Rank Xerox International, Oxford University Press, Nelco Engineering, The Manpower Services Comission and The National Health Service,) I have been involved in many of the requirements of such work; including:

Job Evaluation
          Holding and chairing Auditions and Appointment Panels
          Staff Recruitment
          Staff Counselling.

Quote: ".. I always wanted to play in an orchestra."

So join your local Amateur orchestra (many of whom play a wide variety of classical repertoire to the satisfaction of the players and their family and friends in the audience)

There's nothing to stop you from choosing to sit at the back of the section and just miming the notes if you feel terrified and you will become used to sitting there and adding your contribution to the music when you feel able.

A poor programme in my view, choosing the wrong people - and presenting the wrong picture.

Hornspieler

BTW To the aspiring performer:
          The passing of Grade VIII of the Associated Board is no more than an indication that you may benefit from additional tuition to bring your playing up to a performance standard. The work, the determination and the ambition is up to you (if you feel that you would be able to withstand the heat in that kitchen).

Best of luck - but be realistic, not idealistic.
          Excellent review, HS. I watched it too and thought that it gave the false impression that passing Grade 8 was an end in itself and not merely a 'first step' so to speak. The 'cellist was the most odd. After all, she is still a practicing musician who, although 'only' playing for session work, must be pretty good to be making a living on the London scene. Was she really missing anything from not having an audience present?

And yes. I hated the continual use of the F word too!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

I've now watched most of it, but given up. It seems to me that these people's addictions weren't really much to do with the fact that they were musicians.

I used to notice when I was young that the most talented people I knew were the most nervous. I would watch a girl who eventually became a respected professional violinist, though not a household name, before school concerts. She always vomited, and I would think "I don't feel a bit like that, so I can't be any good." However, she always got out there and played.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
              I've now watched most of it, but given up. It seems to me that these people's addictions weren't really much to do with the fact that they were musicians.

The other thing which is conveniently overlooked by the mee-jah is that everyone who has ever held down a job with any degree of responsibility attached has felt pressure. No more nor less than musicians. It's called life, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Sympathetically filmed and presented, I thought. Yes, there was a lot of use of the "F" word, but it is part of these peoples lives, and the programme did go out at 2300h. Overall I found it quite interesting to watch.

OG

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                  I didn't get very far at all with it. I was expecting a programme about musicians who had problems with addiction caused by the stress of performance, not a programme about music as therapy for addiction, which is what it appeared to be, at least until I lost interest.

Comment

Working...
                  X