X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    I am pleased that you were able to go. I would have liked to have been there, but had another engagement.

His radio talks were an important part of my teenage years and filled in a lot of gaps in my musical knowledge. I had forgotten, until a friend recently reminded me, that he also visited my school and gave a talk when I was in the 6th Form. As I have said before, I was invited to his cottage in the depths of the Chilterns when I was teaching and we planned to stage one of his operas. His one-man performance of the opera for my producer colleague and myself was memorable - as was the hospitality offered by him and his wife. I pleased that I still have several of his books to dip into.
    I was able to go too and thoroughly enjoyed the occasion - it was a very nice tribute including plenty of AH's own music. I was particularly struck by some of his voice and piano songs. A good turnout too.

(Parenthetically, I was surprised and delighted to find myself quoted in Beatrix Hopkins's narrations - she read from a tribute I wrote for the Dorothy L. Sayers Society Newsletter about the recording we made of AH's music for The Just Vengeance in which he performed).

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      I was able to go too and thoroughly enjoyed the occasion
      I said to her afterwards that I had no idea if any other R3 listeners were there as I didn't know what they looked like! (Yes, I think I remember a ref to DLS but have forgotten what it was)
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
      X