• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Antony Hopkins memorial concert

I've just had news that there will be a concert in memory of Antony Hopkins, to be held at Berkhamsted School - his old school, and where he was brought up. It will be on Sunday 14 September, at 3pm.

That doesn't sound like the easiest time for anyone not in the immediate area, but FoR3 has been specially asked to circulate details (he was a long-time supporter), and I shall try to be there. It looks as if we have to book tickets, so if anyone else wants to do so and they care to meet up, let me know. Trains leave from Euston, or there is a reasonable amount of parking in Berkhamsted.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Furthermore:

Trains from Euston to Berkhamstead are plentiful on Sundays (every 20-30 mins - why? what an outrage!) and take roughly half an hour. Not sure that the concert will rival the Proms, but I propose to book lunch, perhaps at the Kings Arms which looks a reasonable hostelry. (So instead of going to France - where I've been before - I shall visit Berkhamsted for my holiday . It looks rather interesting.)

And: his widow rang yesterday with the details and mentioned how much AH - and she - had appreciated all the 90th birthday messages here - which I posted on to him. I shall ask her if she holds the broadcasting rights to Talking About Music - if the tapes still exist in any quantity ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      - I shall visit Berkhamsted for my holiday . It looks rather interesting.)
      Indeed it is. Set snugly beneath the 5,000 acres of the glorious Ashridge estate/Berkhamsted (sic) common in the heart of the Chilterns, and within a stone's throw of the chocolate box village of Aldbury, location for many film director's vision of the perfect English village.
      Last edited by Sir Velo; 06-08-14, 14:11. Reason: missing apos

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Trains from Euston to Berkhamstead are plentiful on Sundays (every 20-30 mins - why? what an outrage!)
        Trying to steal a march on HS2, which iirc will follow in more-or-less the same direction?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Berkhamsted (sic)
          I remembered the second time! :-)

I was impressed at the Sunday service - I quite thought there would be one train in the morning each way, and another in the evening. Forgot this the South East, even if it is north of London ...

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I remembered the second time! :-)

I was impressed at the Sunday service - I quite thought there would be one train in the morning each way, and another in the evening. Forgot this the South East, even if it is north of London ...

... come now!

"The name of the town has been spelt in a variety of ways over the years, and the present spelling was adopted in 1937. Earlier spellings included Berkhampstead, Muche Barkhamstede, Berkhamsted Magna, Great Berkhamsted and Berkhamstead. The earliest recorded form of the name is the Old English Beorhoanstadde. Historian Percy Birtchnell identified over 50 different spellings and epithets since the Domesday Book. It is believed the original refers to homestead amongst the hills (Saxon – bergs)."

(thank you, wiqui... )

It was, for a brief time, our capital city. The brief time in 1066 between William's acceptance there of his victory and his crowning in London.

Also the home of Graham Greene, and - far more importantly - of Ed Reardon

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              and - far more importantly - of Ed Reardon
              I suppose he made a fuss!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... come now! The home of Graham Greene, and - far more importantly - of Ed Reardon
                And Michael Garrick (RIP) - Jazz Praises at St Pauls, and lots, lost more besides.

He returned an article draft, with "Berkhamsted" corrected at every mention! I felt a right berk

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Forgot this the South East, even if it is north of London ...
                  Home Counties, FF; home counties...definitely stockbroker belt country; also known as Rothschild country being within spitting distance of several of their piles, not to say the PM's country residence.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the heads up on this FF. Won't be able to make it but please p[ass my best to his widow. I will always cherish a memory I have when he came to my town's music society(Haywards Heath, West Sussex), and gave me a advice on playing Brahms's Ballade in G minor. many years ago, when I was studying with my teacher.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Very much looking forward to going to this. And as other posters have said, it's a lovely part of the world to visit as well.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Berkhamsted Sinfonia is a professional orchestra and my guess, from their concert programmes, is that there will be at least one piece by Antony Hopkins.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Any member attend? Sadly I was unavoidably detained elsewhere on the day.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Any member attend? Sadly I was unavoidably detained elsewhere on the day.
                            Yes. Scroll down to the third post https://www.facebook.com/friendsofradio3

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I am pleased that you were able to go. I would have liked to have been there, but had another engagement.

His radio talks were an important part of my teenage years and filled in a lot of gaps in my musical knowledge. I had forgotten, until a friend recently reminded me, that he also visited my school and gave a talk when I was in the 6th Form. As I have said before, I was invited to his cottage in the depths of the Chilterns when I was teaching and we planned to stage one of his operas. His one-man performance of the opera for my producer colleague and myself was memorable - as was the hospitality offered by him and his wife. I pleased that I still have several of his books to dip into.

Comment

Working...
                              X