• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Deep waters

Now that the smash-hit Bristol Proms are upon us/me/some people again, this article is thought-provoking from the invariably reliable Pliable:

The alliance between Universal Music and Classic FM to present and promote the high profile Bristol Proms, a concert series that draws h...

And the story in Another Place is all the more illuminating, especially the comments, the moreso for being in that Other Place (oh, come off it: why don't you just say Classic FM's website? ).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Interesting stuff.

just a couple of points.
    How anybody can think that 6 music is " cutting edge" is well beyond me. Perhaps those goalposts moved a long time ago.

Also, the connections between the BBC and outside commercial companies should be more heavily scrutinised, IMO.
    Why is the BBC allowed to relentlessly plug Facebook and Twitter?

I wonder if those in the know could highlight any particularly strong connections between BBC management and 2014 Proms artists and their agents?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      How anybody can think that 6 music is " cutting edge" is well beyond me.
      - mind you, somebody on this very Forum referred to Jonathan Dove as among the "current trends in Music"! (Admitedly, by someone who finds Mozart worthy of three s, so hardly someone entirely at ease with the world.)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Presumably if this does become more general, it will spell the end of live concert recordings? And broadcasts?

Meanwhile RW faces challenges of a different sort at Snape....this is causing considerable concern.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Meanwhile RW faces challenges of a different sort at Snape....this is causing considerable concern.
          Note the quote from the 'interim' chief executive ... I suppose they have the point that Bentwaters was a USAF air base. I wonder why this should be more of a threat?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Note the quote from the 'interim' chief executive ... I suppose they have the point that Bentwaters was a USAF air base. I wonder why this should be more of a threat?
            Possibly that it will be responsive to demand, the weather, etc. - and working to a much shorter schedule than concerts and recordings which are booked years ahead. Flying and music both take place in the summer.

Britten had to move inland in his final months to escape the noise of the USAF, and I well remember the low level flying of the USAF Warthog "Tankbusters" as they roamed coastal Suffolk at an altitude of 250 feet in the 1980s.

The new use will be low-level recreational and display flying, involving noisy "heritage" aircraft. I daresay they have had time to become accustomed to the relative quiet since the USAF left. Flying has continued in the meantime, but at a much lower level.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Yes, that explains it, thank you :-)

Comment

Working...
              X