Ena Sharples gives premiere of Peter Maxwell Davies piano score.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Ena Sharples gives premiere of Peter Maxwell Davies piano score.

Ena Sharples it seems gives a premiere of a Peter Maxwell Davies piano score. The book 'Portrait Gallery - A Life in Classical Music' by Edward Greenfield relates that according to Ena Sharples of Coronation Street but then a staff pianist at the BBC’s Northern Region in Manchester gave the premiere of a piano piece by the boy composer.

See review of book: http://www.musicweb-international.co...field_book.htm
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 29-07-14, 08:02.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Violet Carsons is not mentioned in the reminisces of Joyce Palin as related to Mike Seabrook for his 1994 biography of PMD. Palin & Davies were both regular performers as teenagers on the BBC Manchester nightly radio programme Children's Hour - in the "In Your Own Words" section, PMD would play his own work. Palin and Davies also played established repertoire as a Pinao Duet, or with Palin on Violin and Davies at the Piano. Palin would also act in the drama productions, so Carsons may well have met Davies then, but there was no need for her to play his Music. And, then as now, if the Beeb could avoid paying the professional when the underage composer was available cheaper ...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      And, then as now, if the Beeb could avoid paying the professional when the underage composer was available cheaper ...
      It could have been that he was (suddenly) unavailable - and if she accompanied Kathleen Ferrier ... A PMD premiere would probably not have been considered too important then. I remember her on Wilfred Pickles' Have a Go
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It could have been that he was (suddenly) unavailable - and if she accompanied Kathleen Ferrier ... A PMD premiere would probably not have been considered too important then. I remember her on Wilfred Pickles' Have a Go
        Oh, yes - I wasn't saying that the event couldn't possibly have happened (I rather hope it did "A'll 'ave six of yer Bagatelles and no E flats. A sed 'No E flats!'").

It was through her work on Children's Hour that Tony Warren as a boy first encountered Violet Carson. When auditions for Florizel Street were first held, nobody seemed quite right for Ena Sharples - Warren suggested Carson (who was semi-retired at the time), remembering the tough "old" battleaxe who had slapped his backside when he was showing off. "Yes! And you're not too old now, if you don't behave yourself!" she replied when he reminded her of the event at her first run-through.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - Warren suggested Carson (who was semi-retired at the time), remembering the tough "old" battleaxe who had slapped his backside when he was showing off. "Yes! And you're not too old now, if you don't behave yourself!" she replied when he reminded her of the event at her first run-through.

A lovely anecdote

Comment

Working...
          X