Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    True, but at this time we can focus on the positive.
    Of course but I suspect that Barbs was responding to a message that was being negative about posters rather than about the deceased

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Of course but I suspect that Barbs was responding to a message that was being negative about posters rather than about the deceased
      ams - I resemble that remark - but there is a great recorded legacy there to plunder - enjoy!

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Maazel had the thankless task to follow Szell in Cleveland. Szell had built that Orchestra over a quarter century and put his personal stamp on it. They made lots of recordings and were considered one of the world's finest musical pairings.
        Maazel did a pretty good job of maintaining standards there. Inevitably he was seen as not being able to live up to the standard of Szell, which was well nigh impossible. He was no shrinking violet and so had many clashes there and this contributed his problems. His true worth wasn't appreciated in Cleveland until after he left and the Orchestra began to go into a minor decline.
        When Maazel left Cleveland he then largely thrived in Europe for the next couple of decades. When he came back to be director of NY PHil he was still somewhat dogged by a perception that he had "failed" in Cleveland and that New York was settling for an ageing has- been instead of finding a young and dynamic
        leader. Again, New Yorkers didn't appreciate his true worth until he had departed.
        His recorded legacy is a mixed bag, and his sad departure won't change that. The Musical World is poorer for his death, however, and I suspect that the trend will continue that his virtues will be more appreciated as his absence is prolonged.
        Last edited by richardfinegold; 14-07-14, 11:43. Reason: sp

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Heard him live only once - Bruckner 7 at the Barbican, with the LSO, early 1999. A sublime concert.

A real Renaissance man of music, who knew his own worth and made sure he was rewarded accordingly.

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            RIP Lorin - I hope all those who have said unkind words about him on these boards will now learn to enjoy his large 60+ year recorded legacy. I also hope there will be commercial recordings of his late expansive Richard Strauss.

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your ears! I come to bury Ceasar - not to praise him. The evil that men do .... etcetera, etcetera ...."
            HS

(I once played the part of Mark Anthony in a school play at the tender age of ten. Those words by William Shakspeare have lived with me ever since.)

R.I.P

Comment

• Lento
              • Jan 2014

"Last Word" tribute now up and running, just about (20 mins in); includes an extract from Mahler 5 which is, shall we say, interesting.

Comment

• hafod
                • Nov 2010

Lorin Maazel: Great Recordings - 30 discs, £25.39 delivered.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

One of my favourite Maazel recordings is Puccini's La Rondine with Domingo and Te Kanawa with the LSO on CBS/Sony.

Comment

Working...
                  X