X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krystal
    • Sep 2024

Winchester Troper

I've been listening via the net to a BBC series about "Great Composers", recorded earlier this year (I presume this year). Goodall and Klein discuss John Dunstable in the section on that composer. Goodall does an excellent job of explaing the function of "countenance Anglaise" and Dunstable's "discovery" of the interval of a third, which he took to Europe, thus enabling 'consonant' harmony in music. Goodall crows that Dunstable is England's "one big moment" when that country influenced the course of music history. This got me thinking about the Winchester Troper, which contains early Organum and the original Quem Queritis trope for the Catholic mass. Surely these pieces PRE-date the Nostre Dame School of Leonin and Perotin who have generally been regarded as the creators of harmony and counterpoint.

The reason that I raise the issue of the WT is that Dunstable, in fact, would have been England's "second" big moment - and not the first - to influence the course of music history!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

This repertoire is shamefully neglected - I was vaguely aware of the existence of the WT, but I don't think I've ever heard any of the Music itself. How well was this Music known on the continent, Krystal? And does it originate from English "composers" as opposed to being a collection of Music whose source isn't exactly known? (Questions which might excuse the "Dunstable moment" assertion.)

A few pieces on youTube, this one Live:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... and this download of a commercial (and if ever there was a misnomer ... ) recording:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Krystal

The origins of the 'composers' of the WT remain enigmatic to me, but what is significant is that the WT is held in England. That's partly the reason for posting the comments; I was hoping somebody could tell us about this because my memory from being a musicology student is sadly fading. Could Leonin and Perotin have known about these manuscripts? Lots of questions are raised, but I agree with you - this wonderful music is sadly neglected and needs to be restored to its status in the history of western art music. Dunstable was a superb composer and that unique 'countenance Anglaise' has a distinctly English (choral) sound which, in my opinion, travelled right through to Purcell and his contemporaries.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
        Dunstable was a superb composer and that unique 'countenance Anglaise' has a distinctly English (choral) sound which, in my opinion, travelled right through to Purcell and his contemporaries.
        ... and beyond - the Old Complexity is regenerated in the New, as heard most clearly, perhaps, in Ferneyhough's Missa Brevis (and it was through Ferneyhough that I got to know of and explore and be totally entranced by the Music of the Eton Choirbook).

Comment

• Krystal

And I don't know Ferneyhough at all, believe it or not!! Any direction you can give me in this regard would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
            And I don't know Ferneyhough at all, believe it or not!! Any direction you can give me in this regard would be much appreciated. Cheers!
            Oooh! Where to begin?!

Well, I've mentioned the Missa Brevis, so:

Brian Ferneyhough (*1943): Missa Brevis, per coro a 12 voci (1968/1969) Prima parte:I. KyrieII. GloriaBBC Singers diretti da Odaline de la MartinezImmagine: ...

Brian Ferneyhough (*1943): Missa Brevis, per coro a 12 voci (1968/1969) Seconda parte:III. SanctusIV. BenedictusV. Agnus DeiBBC Singers diretti da Odaline de...

... and here's some polyphonic monody played by a student:

Cassandra's Dream Song (1970), by Brian FerneyhoughWayla J. Chambo, flutePerformed at University of North Texas College of Music, 11/27/2012

Comment

• Krystal

Thanks, I'll have a listen. The seemingly oxymoronic "polyphonic monody" certainly caught my attention; how does that work? Monody, as I understand it, is a single line of music sans harmony.

Comment

Working...
              X