X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    As someone who went to primary school in the early 60s I don't recall hearing anything as varied as this. In fact I can only recall one example of a teacher playing a record - Devil's Trill on 78.

Perhaps we we should try and be positive about the initiative rather than, as happens all over the place in Internet forums, highlighting personal negatives.
    I think I was very lucky (although, of course, not realising it at the time) that at my primary school in Surrey in the '60s we were regularly played pieces of classical music. The headmaster played records at morning assembly on a regular basis. I can't remember all of the pieces but 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' was certainly one of them. I can recall The 'Nutcracker' suite being used in a 'music and movement' lesson and Handel's Water Music (Harty suite, I suspect) was always played at the May Day celebrations. Oh, and the 'Halleluja Chorus' was played during the Christmas nativity play. It was all quite normal for us to hear classical music alongside other sorts of music during school hours.

Happy days indeed!

Comment

Working...
    X