• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Did you catch the hurriedly prepared series of Schumann orchestral concerts Sir Charles Mackerras did with the SCO at the EIF in 1999? Here's what Conrad Wilson had to say about it in The Herald at the time:

I saved them to cassette from FM broadcasts at the time and have since transferred them to CD-Rs. I still return to them again and again for a breath of fresh air, though the Goodman CDs of the Symphonies I find even more appealing.
    With Goodman, it's been a case of never in the right place at the right time for me, but it would be top of my list now with Nezet-Seguin if and when I come back to this cycle. RC's review of the Goodman is in Gramophone for 3/95 - extremely positive of course!
    I don't recall hearing the Mackerras concerts, but I do admire his Brahms set with the SCO.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Like Petrushka, I always used to have difficulty in appreciating Schumann 2, even though I had the Sawallisch, Kubelik and Zinman sets. Then, quite by chance I came across the Ansermet recording, probably not a first choice, but something in this performance lighted an enthusiasm, I'm not really sure why. Since then I've returned to Sawallisch, and more recently the splendid Abbado.

Incidentally, what do boarders think of the famous Furtwangler BPO version of the 4th? His way of handling the great and mysterious lead into the symphonies finale is positively Brucknerian ! Probably wrong, but amazing!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        With Goodman, it's been a case of never in the right place at the right time for me, but it would be top of my list now with Nezet-Seguin if and when I come back to this cycle.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Lennie in 1953 introducing the Second Symphony, with commendable comments about Schumann's orchestration - not quite "the instruments for which he wrote" (they weren't readily available sixty years ago) but spot on in his appreciation that what Schumann wrote works; and works superbly.

New York Stadium Symphony Orchestra, Leonard BernsteinRecorded 1953
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Lennie in 1953 introducing the Second Symphony, with commendable comments about Schumann's orchestration - not quite "the instruments for which he wrote" (they weren't readily available sixty years ago) but spot on in his appreciation that what Schumann wrote works; and works superbly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPKz-nv-LI
            Fabulous link thanks fhgl

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              Like Petrushka, I always used to have difficulty in appreciating Schumann 2, even though I had the Sawallisch, Kubelik and Zinman sets. Then, quite by chance I came across the Ansermet recording, probably not a first choice, but something in this performance lighted an enthusiasm, I'm not really sure why. Since then I've returned to Sawallisch, and more recently the splendid Abbado.

Incidentally, what do boarders think of the famous Furtwangler BPO version of the 4th? His way of handling the great and mysterious lead into the symphonies finale is positively Brucknerian ! Probably wrong, but amazing!
              Haven't heard it but you have peaked my curiousity.
              Just listened to it on Spotify (boy, the pleasure of being able to pull something up instantly...). It is very Brucknerian, but I think it works quite well. That approach would have been terrible for the Spring Symphony but suits the 4th very well.
              Last edited by richardfinegold; 18-06-14, 03:46.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

I have always enjoyed the earlier Kubelik set (BRSO on DG) but recently bought the Abbado when I saw it reduced to £2.99 in the Manchester HMV. Both are fine performances. Prompted by the recent Building a Library on the Spring symphony, I sought out the Holliger recording, which restores some of Schumann's first thoughts (eg the horns in the opening). I notice that it is "Vol1" of Schumann's orchestral music, which suggests that he may be planning a full cycle of the symphonies. I will be very interested to see what he does to No 2 - and No4 of which there are, of couse, two extant versions.

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPKz-nv-LI
                  Yes, my entrée to the symphonies was his NYPO box http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schumann-Cpt...nn+2+bernstein, since then the Schumann shelves have exploded.....
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                  X