Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    Does anyone know how long these lectures are? I'm interested in the ones on Beethoven and Mozart.
    They are taken from 45rpm discs, so at a guess about 15 minutes? At only £1 a go, not expensive to find out.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      They are taken from 45rpm discs, so at a guess about 15 minutes? At only £1 a go, not expensive to find out.
      Thanks!

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        And here are five to bring back memories!

(Plus another on iTunes, it seems, for those teenie-boppers. )
        Thanks very much, Don -- I was about to post something similar, having just received the Beulah email. I've just downloaded them and they are all about 15 minutes. Apparently they were recorded on EPs in the late 50s, so I wonder whether they were abridged from the original Third Programme talks to fit onto an EP? I seem to remember the talks were longer than that -- perhaps half-an-hour? -- but memory can easily play false on these matters. Still, it’s wonderful to have them, and having just heard Ms Derham murder the pronunciation of Schumann’s Märchenbilder on the Lunchtime Concert, a welcome reminder of when professionalism still reigned.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
          I seem to remember the talks were longer than that -- perhaps half-an-hour? -- but memory can easily play false on these matters.
          His Radio 4 Talking Abouts were half-an-hour long, certainly JFLL - I have about six on cassette somewhere in the house! Gently passionate, full of insights, communicative and focussed on the Music not his own reputation, they were excellent programmes.

IIRC (!) these shorter talks were also re-released on CfP in the mid-70s?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Don Petter

I also have just downloaded them, and the five make up a nice CD of 75 minutes, which I am much looking forward to hearing.

Comment

• amateur51

I hope that Mr Hopkins is getting repeat fees or a cut of the royalties on these re-issues and that the series proves to be a nice little earner over the next few months

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Once again, I'm sure we all send our greetings to Antony Hopkins on his 92nd birthday.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Once again, I'm sure we all send our greetings to Antony Hopkins on his 92nd birthday.
                  Indeed so - Happy Birthday AH

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Indeed so - Happy Birthday AH
                    Seconded!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Catherine Bott
                      • Mar 2012

I grew up listening to him and if a conversation I had in Broadcasting House last Sunday is anything to go by, he is fondly remembered at R3. Happy birthday indeed, and thanks.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

He is fondly remembered by many on here too.
                        Best wishes AH.
                        Talking about music,they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X