X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

RIP Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos

Just heard about his death only a few days after he announced his retirement. Great man.... (and great name).
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I saw him Conduct Albeniz here a few years ago. Physically he was very frail but the music making had great vitality. Before that concert he was just a name to me.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

His 1967 recording of Rodrigo and Giuliani guitar concertos with Alirio Diaz (which I bought in 1970) is still available. He conducts one of the gems of my LP collection, Alicia de Larrocha's "Nights" (with Albeniz and Turina on side 2).

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Ah, sad news indeed. RIP

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

His Carmina Burana (with the New Philharmonia and Lucia Popp on top) is pretty classic - the Philharmonia Chorus were reputed to be the best symphony chorus in those days.

He conducted the RPO in a Brahms Requiem at St Paul's Cathedral that I sang in (City of London Festival, late 1970s), which seemed very grandiloquent at the time. The echo at the end of Der Gerechten Seelen sind was about 15 seconds.

(Yes, a great name.) RIP

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Encouraged by the recent Falla thread, I invested (one penny) in RFdB's 1998 recording of The Three Cornered Hat and Love the Magician with the Orqestra Nacional de Espana.

Wonderful!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Oh, this is sad news. RFdB brought such enthusiasm, zest and enjoyment to his Music-making - his concerts were life-affirming, fizzing occasions that made you feel as if all was right with the world: in every sense "Live" events. And the wattage of the chorus' licht in his recording of The Creation is second to none.

RIP, and thank you.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

His EMI recording of La Vida Breve, made in Madrid with Victoria de Los Angeles is wonderfully atmospheric, as is his lovely recording of Nights in the Gardens of Spain with Gonzalo Soriano. I also treasure his recording of the Weber Clarinet Concertos with Gervase de Peyer.

There's also a good recording of Atlantida, that strange and incomplete Falla work.

Another great loss to music.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

The Grim Reaper at work again. Another sad day in music, especially if it is someone of note, as Rafael Frubeck de burgos. RIP
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    The Grim Reaper at work again. Another sad day in music, especially if it is someone of note, as Rafael Frubeck de burgos. RIP
                    Indeed sad - he's one of those conductors who has been there throughout my recorded music buying career - did I really coin that phrase - no matter - but there are some real gems amongst his recordings - only recently I did the ZPP thing for a disc of Bartok and Kodaly Concerti for Orchestra on Collins Classics, for whom he made a number of good recordings . I also have a very good complete Daphnis (unfortunately blessed with a coupling of the B work) on Royal Classics. RIP RFdeB.

Comment

• slarty

RIP. RFDB. Both he and Michelangeli participated in what must be one of the great live Grieg Piano Concerto performances ever - still available on BBC legends. Unforgettable .

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

I got out his classic recording of Mendelssohn's Elijah from 1968. Gwynneth Jones early in her career and not too wobbly. Janet Baker still in contralto mode and at her absolute best. Nicolai Gedda quite outstanding. Don't care much for DFD in it.

Taking JB's 'O rest in the Lord' to my desert island, wonderfully accompanied by Fruebeck's New Philharmonia.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                          • Jan 2014

He also recorded a fine version of Carmen with Grace Bumbry in the title role and Jon Vickers as Don José. It is, I think, the first recorded version to use anything like an authentic version with spoken dialogue (I have a feeling that actors were used for this, though) rather than sung rectitives that were not written by Bizet.
                          RIP

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Sad news indeed - a cracking Creation and Elijah and benchmark Falla recordings but also a deeply felt and superb Mozart Requiem are among my favourite recordings of his - RIP

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                              He also recorded a fine version of Carmen with Grace Bumbry in the title role and Jon Vickers as Don José. It is, I think, the first recorded version to use anything like an authentic version with spoken dialogue (I have a feeling that actors were used for this, though) rather than sung rectitives that were not written by Bizet.
                              RIP
                              - terrific performance from everybody. (I still have it on cassette tape somewhere.)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X