Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

I'm sorry to have upset a new member on the Forum but, as Ferney says, there have been one or two just lately who post a deliberately provocative message then retire following the inevitable strong reply. For new members it's like starting a new job in the office: you gauge the temperature first before opening the mouth too loudly.

The OP seemed to me to be deliberately posting a contentious message with the aim of starting a fight and a re-reading of it doesn't change my mind.

Anyway, back to the Vienna Philharmonic. I'm not sure whether the orchestra are concerned about this but I'm worried that the present day VPO is not adequately being represented in recordings. Back catalogue issues aside, all we have of them these days is the New Year's Day concert and the Summer Night concert. They can't continue to trade on their aristocratic legacy alone!

Will the follow the BPO in finally promoting their own label featuring modern recordings of the orchestra?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

By the way - has anybody else noticed the portrait of Johann Strauss the younger on page 136 of next week's Radio Times? It's "advertising" a performance by the CBSO under Andris Nelsons of ... err ... the Symphonia Domestica by Richard Strauss.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        By the way - has anybody else noticed the portrait of Johann Strauss the younger on page 136 of next week's Radio Times? It's "advertising" a performance by the CBSO under Andris Nelsons of ... err ... the Symphonia Domestica by Richard Strauss.
        Yes! Was just about to post on this elsewhere. How embarrassing!
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Yes! Was just about to post on this elsewhere. How embarrassing!
          Part of the universal obsession with Johann?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Oh dear. However, the message to which our pet rushka responded was couched somewhat ambiguously. I read it differently to the way Petrushka seems to have. I thought you were suggesting that the Strauss family's music was not by any means 'all that bad', which is true. I also have considerable sympathy for your suggestion that the New Year Concerts are more about tourism promotion than profound musical occasions. I am not a great fan of the music, but Arnie, Alban and Anton seemed very taken with it. Indeed, it is in the versions for Arnie's musical gatherings that I take most pleasure.

Oh, and there was no trolling in Petrushka's response. He appears simply to have misread the intent of your OP.
            Last edited by Bryn; 15-06-14, 09:54. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              The OP seemed to me to be deliberately posting a contentious message with the aim of starting a fight and a re-reading of it doesn't change my mind.
              Then I suggest you go back and re-read it yet again. Seems to me you totally misread the intent, (possibly the result of a bee in your own bonnet?).

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Krystal View Post
                What do you think of this annual musical event from Vienna? Many people (outside Vienna) have complained that it's not very good music played over and over.

Personally, I think it's a tourism and PR exercise from the Wiener Philharmoniker and I don't think it's meant as a 'serious' musical experience. It also functions as a fund-raiser. But did both Strauss & Sohn compose really ALL that terrible music?
                Hiya Krystal,

I used to avoid the Neujahrskonzert by the Wiener Philharmoniker. As I became more opened minded and experienced in classic music I began to appeciate it more and now I love the concert. The Neujahrskonzert is one of the premier events of the year in the classsical music world and I greatly look forward to it. The Wiener Philharmoniker is a world class orchestra and the music of the Strauss family is wonderful.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Part of the universal obsession with Johann?

I'm reminded of a remark to my late father by some German friends of his who, when asked for their opinions of the music of Richard Strauss, replied, "To us he combined the worst of Richard Wagner and Johann Strauss".

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I'm reminded of a remark to my late father by some German friends of his who, when asked for their opinions of the music of Richard Strauss, replied, "To us he combined the worst of Richard Wagner and Johann Strauss".
                    Actually, that's quite perceptive.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Actually, that's quite perceptive.
                      I agree!!!

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

Surely others are allowed their patrio-nostalgia too, if we have the Last Night?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                          Surely others are allowed their patrio-nostalgia too, if we have the Last Night?

Is it under threat?

Comment

Working...
                          X