X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Don't overlook Hausmusik on SIGNUM for a lovely set of the Sextets, and the MDG series of Brahms' Chamber music with the Leipzig Qt & guests - exceptionally well-recorded as usual, but not cheap... all of these give a fresh view.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Anything with TS's name against it is systematically avoided here now. The buffoon spoils anything with which he is associated
      Originally posted by muzzer View Post
      TS is plainly trying to make his name. Wish he'd not do it with this season tho.
      Teamsaint, what have you been up to? Is it So'ton FC's season we're talking about?

I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Teamsaint, what have you been up to? Is it So'ton FC's season we're talking about?

It had to happen sooner or later.

Should have trademarked while I could.........!!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Nah LMP - not our ts - he's case-sensitive!

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kea View Post
              The Hyperion one's a pretty good alternative as well, you get the gorgeous Raphael Ensemble versions of the Sextets & some lovely Piano Trios from Susan Tomes & her boys. Plus some other stuff I haven't heard. I don't remember how 'complete' it is though.
              I concur!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ian
                • Nov 2010

I first got to know some of Brahms at the age of 14 when, for Christmas, I was given Julius Katchen’s 8 LP set of the complete piano music. The piece that was the instant hit for me however was the G major violin Sonata (also included) in which the violinist was Joseph Suk.

I remember playing this once when a friend of my parents called in, had a brief listen, and said “This is the sort of thing that gives classical music a bad name.” something to do with the violin scratching away apparently.

Went on to collect recordings of anything by Brahms I could find or afford - and I still play those old discs.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                  I remember playing this once when a friend of my parents called in, had a brief listen, and said “This is the sort of thing that gives classical music a bad name.” something to do with the violin scratching away apparently.
                  Isn't that just the weird kind of thing that people say?

Tonight I listened to the Handel Variations (orch. Rubbra), Philadelphia/Ormandy. On the back of the Double Concerto, Stern/Rose.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Isn't that just the weird kind of thing that people say?

Tonight I listened to the Handel Variations (orch. Rubbra), Philadelphia/Ormandy. On the back of the Double Concerto, Stern/Rose.
                    ...and did you like it?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

There was a feisty, gutsy, two-wheels sometimes off the ground performance of the Brahms Violin Concerto this morning on Through the Night, with the soloist Sarah Chang. The orchestra was the Oslo Philharmonic conducted by Juraj Valucha. You can find it here at two hours into the progarmme. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of this as-live performance, which is one of the things that I like about TTN.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

The Brahms "controversy" spread to the Today Prog. on R4 this morning featuring a few minutes debate at the end between music critic Michael Tanner and Jessica Cottis, Assistant Conduct**** of the Sydney S.O.

Interesting (at least to me!) that Tanner said he disliked the German Requiem the most which he found 'depressing'. That is the Brahms work I've always liked the best, certainly to date. I can think of some popular works by other composers which are much more depressing than that!

Tanner also said many of the composer's songs 'are to do with rain' which he also finds 'depressing'.

I assume he was joking ... or that he is extremely prone to depression?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Michael Tanner joking.

No, sorry - the individual words are clear, but put together like that they don't make sense. A bit like "The Battle of Hastings went down to the shops for a bun."
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                            The Brahms "controversy" spread to the Today Prog. on R4 this morning ...

I assume he[Tanner] was joking ... or that he is extremely prone to depression?
                            treated as usual on that program as a joke filler to mop up time to the pips - Tanner I guess was there for money in order to provide the 'balanced' view so beloved of Auntie

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              The Brahms "controversy" spread to the Today Prog. on R4 this morning featuring a few minutes debate at the end between music critic Michael Tanner and Jessica Cottis, Assistant Conduct**** of the Sydney S.O.

Interesting (at least to me!) that Tanner said he disliked the German Requiem the most which he found 'depressing'. That is the Brahms work I've always liked the best, certainly to date. I can think of some popular works by other composers which are much more depressing than that!

Tanner also said many of the composer's songs 'are to do with rain' which he also finds 'depressing'.

I assume he was joking ... or that he is extremely prone to depression?
                              Well he may find Brahms rain based (?!)music depressing, but R4 and the BBCs wall to wall news and vapid opinion fixation is surely infinitely more so?

Anyway, you don't always have to change many words for things to make sense.

" max Hastings went down to the shops for a bun".....might be an example
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• muzzer
                                • Nov 2013

Shurely the Brahms and Liszt Experience is next............?

Comment

Working...
                                X