But he always is now: what's he on?
      Radio Three and BBC4
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I think they already have - he didn't used to be like this
        You've hit the nail well and truly on the head there!

The same applies to Radio and TV interviewers. Many start off being perfectly good at their jobs then almost overnight they suddenly turn into raving John Humphrys, which immediately makes me reach for the off-switch.

In truth, it's a management culture problem as in so many other areas of life today.

So pointless and unfair to 'shoot the messenger' even though Tom Service tends to irritate me these days as well ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
          You've hit the nail well and truly on the head there!

The same applies to Radio and TV interviewers. Many start off being perfectly good at their jobs then almost overnight they suddenly turn into raving John Humphrys, which immediately makes me reach for the off-switch.
          Yes, you and ferney are right. TS was one of the best, now intolerable, ditto Humphrys. It's such a shame.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Radio Three and BBC4
            ...said he, paraphrasing Rachmaninov and Kreisler giving a recital at Carnegie Hall...

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Well - if it's the Loughran set, I'd go for the Second Symphony (the first Brahms LP I ever bought). If Walter's it'd be the Third (the first Brahms Symphony I got to know - borrowed from the Public Library). If Karajan's digital set, the First (bought at the RFH shop whilst waiting for the orchestra's instruments to arrive from France) if his '70s set, the Third (saw the video of the performance on BBC2 at around the time this was made), if the '60s set, then the First. Furtwangler, probably the Third as well - or possibly the First. If Maazel, then I'll just watch the sunset and try to imagine the score of the fourth in my mind's ear. Anybody else, and it would probably be the Fourth, because then I wouldn't be anxious about them omiting the Exposition repeats in the First Movements.

And I'd want to know why I'd "only have time" to hear one! What's going to happen? (And, if what I think is going to happen is going to happen, can I have Ferrier, Patzak, Walter and the VPO in Das Lied von der Erde, instead, please.
              Are you a Politician ferney? Who'd have thought it would be so complicated to find out which Brahms symphony really lights your candle - do you favour expositon repeats - I do - it makes the works last longer!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Who'd have thought it would be so complicated to find out which Brahms symphony really lights your candle
                They all do; they're all equally fine - it's a ruddy chandelier!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

They all do; they're all equally fine - it's a ruddy chandelier!
                  Yep.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Yes, you and ferney are right. TS was one of the best, now intolerable, ditto Humphrys. It's such a shame.
                    I hae' me doots, Calibs. If it's a management diktat, why aren't John Shea, Ian Skelly, Petroc Trelawney, Jonathan Swain et alia - not to mention all but one of the women presenters - gabbling manically when presenting?

I'm rather shocked by some of the presentation from St George's - borderline unprofessional, IMHV.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

No, it's NOT 'borderline', it's over it. I commented the other night
                      Service is deliberately, arrogantly, obtruding himself between us and the performers / music. he clearly sees himself as some sort of musical stand-up comedian.
                      Appalling behaviour.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        No, it's NOT 'borderline', it's over it. I commented the other night
                        Service is deliberately, arrogantly, obtruding himself between us and the performers / music. he clearly sees himself as some sort of musical stand-up comedian.
                        Appalling behaviour.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

And now, oh dear oh dear oh dear, we are being subjected to some very strange pan-musical promotion for music from the BBC featuring a totally inferior set of interpretations of a Beach Boys number...! Twenty-seven musicians - Katie Derham, no less, playing the violin - involved. I even have a second or two of compassion for TS having to actually announce it.

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

I'm afraid I abandoned listening to this and won't bother with the rest of the evening concerts this week, except possibly Steven Kovacevich whose playing I admire a lot and who may cut through the dross.

A bit of a shambles, really....

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              And now, oh dear oh dear oh dear, we are being subjected to some very strange pan-musical promotion for music from the BBC featuring a totally inferior set of interpretations of a Beach Boys number...! Twenty-seven musicians - Katie Derham, no less, playing the violin - involved. I even have a second or two of compassion for TS having to actually announce it.
                              Stevie Wonder, Pharrell Williams, Chris Martin, Lorde and Florence Welch are among the performers on the corporation’s latest celebrity promo effort

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

I know I've got some catching up to do, as I was away last week, but who's completely insane idea was it to have all - ALL - the evening concerts this week featuring Brahms - AND Composer of the Week! I turned to CFM for some relief.

(As if the Brahms wasn't enough, I listened to a couple of episodes of The Archers, to find that it has got even more bonkers than it was during the BolloxFest saga.)

Comment

Working...
                                X