X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Just discovered there are now two threads - mea culpa, Das Fleisch ist nur Grass etc - so I've asked FF to intervene.

kb
    oh, shame.

The multiple threads approach is great fun, and working really well on new releases.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      Brahms Experience all kicking off, as we say, tomorrow
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p024q7l3
      Threads merged. Sorry, team. I was asked ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Can't wait for the Kenneth Leighton Experience.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I am never too sure of these composer focus programmes of Radio 3. It smacks of cheap programming.
          Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro
          Why havn't R3done a Richard Strauss Season, like this?
          I think you may be sending mixed messages, Bbm.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Why havn't R3done a Richard Strauss Season, like this?
            I thought they had ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Tevot
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              Can't wait for the Kenneth Leighton Experience.
              I once had a Kenneth Williams Experience - and have never been the same since

Looking forward to hearing the Brahms programmes (he is a favourite of mine) but I will agree with others who would like the BBC to advocate neglected composers via this format.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                oh, shame.

The multiple threads approach is great fun, and working really well on new releases.
                Despite checking whether there was one, I missed it and started a second. Hope you'll still have fun here, TS.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Despite checking whether there was one, I missed it and started a second. Hope you'll still have fun here, TS.
                  Thanks KB, fun is never a problem when the are 3 threads for new releases.

or is it 4.......

anyway splendid reviews, from Barbi, Jayne et al, most useful with Xmas round the corner.......

anyway, back to the Brahms thing..........
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

Personally, though, the harmonic invention of R Strauss, is highly original and this is why I love this composer.
                    Hear, Hear, Brassbandmaestro!

R Strauss is one of my favourites also. Funnily enough, Brahms continues to leave me cold and I guess I'll never get the hang of his music now. I find it just so ... well, uninspiring, really.

Marin Alsop, the conductress, was on Desert Island Discs this morning and she said it was Brahms String Sextet in B flat Major, which she heard as a small child, that left her entranced and started her love for classical music.

Hearing that sort of passion for Johannes's music makes one's "deaf-spot" all the more maddening.

I'll keep trying, though!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      It's funny, BBM, but, as with Liszt, (who exercised I think a not inconsiderable influence on R Strauss), I tend to go with those influenced one way or another by them - preferring Franck, Saint-Saens, Balakirev, Rimsky-Korsakov and Busoni for what they managed to do with Liszt's innovations in form, harmony and orchestration; and in Strauss's case what Szymanowsky, Elgar and Bartok made out of his harmonic sense.
                      I'm with you here, but...

In Liszt's case it's the ofttimes downright banality in some of the themes and the way this is thrown at the listener; and in that of Strauss a similar self-regarding pomposity.
                      I would argue that cases such as these are rather more the exception than the rule.

I also agree with Maurice Ohana in finding Strauss's scores too full of cholesterol
                      Whereas I find that his have almost none, which is quite dangerous! (and I recall the shee extent of his contempt for Strauss as evidenced in the way he used to pronounce his name "Straws"). What's important about cholesetrol is not just the overall level thereof but also the balance between LDL and HDL; sufficient imbalance between what's colloquially known as "good" and "bad" cholesterol can be at least as dangerous as an overall level that's too high or too low. As in health, so in music. I think that even Busoni, whose view of Strauss was generally pretty negative (apart from his wild enthusiasm for one of his greatest works, Salome which he described as "a throw of genius") would have recognised this aspect because, when he complained about Strauss first writing the principal voice, then the principal bass voice then filling in all the principal middle voices, he then prceeded to undo his neat jobe by praising Strauss the conductor, from which one can only conclude that Busoni accepted at the same time that Strauss knew as well as anyone just how best to balance all of those voices, thereby maintaining a healthy cholesterol (orchesterol?) balance!

Schoenberg who said words to the effect that "Whatever I learned from Strauss" - and I guess he was speaking of harmonic inquisitiveness - "I quickly unlearned".
                      Which simply isn't true, actually (and how oddly prophetic - albeit in a subtly restrained menner - his rarely heard Op. 8 songs are of Strauss's Vier Letzte Lieder from some 40 years later!); I suspect that Schönberg's comment may in part have been a delayed reaction to Strauss's notorious unforgivably tasteless insult to him (whom he'd earlier championed) about shovelling snow...

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                        I once had a Kenneth Williams Experience - and have never been the same since
                        We won't ask!...

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          R Strauss is one of my favourites also.
                          And mine.

Funnily enough, Brahms continues to leave me cold and I guess I'll never get the hang of his music now. I find it just so ... well, uninspiring, really.
                          I'm not at all with you there; there are certain works that do little for me but not so very many.

Marin Alsop, the conductress
                          Don't you dare let her hear you write that!

was on Desert Island Discs this morning and she said it was Brahms String Sextet in B flat Major, which she heard as a small child, that left her entranced and started her love for classical music.

Hearing that sort of passion for Johannes's music makes one's "deaf-spot" all the more maddening.

I'll keep trying, though!
                          Well, maybe try the other and even finer sextet, in G - or the second piano trio or the piano quintet or indeed any of the three piano quartets if chamber music might be a way in for you.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Well, maybe try the other and even finer sextet, in G - or the second piano trio or the piano quintet or indeed any of the three piano quartets if chamber music might be a way in for you.
                            Many thanks, ahinton, for pointing me in another direction which is always greatly appreciated, especially from a composer.

If the symphonies have singularly failed to stir my hopefully just slumbering Brahmsian soul then maybe the chamber works just might?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

When I see the word "conductress" I reach for my... bus fare. 4p. Last time I heard the word I was still at school...

But, PGT (terrible affliction, my sympathies), what about the Brahms Serenades? Full of Brahmsian soul and with lighter moods than in the symphonies. I've loved them not wisely but too well, almost used them up.. Very loveable music, do try them. My best-loved is Mackerras with the SCO on Telarc.

The Serenades should be on next week, not the Academic Borefest and the 1st Symphony...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

I've just come back from hearing the Bournemouth SO under Karabits give a beautifully lyrical and crisp performance of Brahms 1. (And a wonderful LvB Pno Concerto 1 with Robert Levin - who amazed us with improvised cadenzas.)

Reverting to Brahms - I adore the sextets, the Horn trio and all the Piano/Strings chamber music.

Tom Service, in the less-than-usually-irritating trailer for the BE, says we need to connect with Brahms's passion. I think this is downplayed (and hence he's 'beery and stodgy' to some) partly because (to repeat myself) he's conventionally portrayed like an Old Testament prophet or perhaps Kapellmeister with that beard worthy of an Edward Lear poem. There was plenty of passion early on. (Not to be beardist, of course: beards do not per se inhibit passion....)

Comment

Working...
                                X