What happened to Francis, Day & Hunter "for hire" scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cocolinmichela
    • Oct 2024

What happened to Francis, Day & Hunter "for hire" scores?

Hello,
    I am looking for three music scores by British composer William Lloyd Webber (father of Andrew and Julian), these are:

-Sonatina for violin and piano (1930's)
    -Benedictus for Strings - PRS Tunecode 0592275V
    -Nocturne for piano and strings - PRS Tunecode 2992995Q

These were all available for hire from Francis Day & Hunter in the 1950s. The PRS website shows some tunecodes associated to them and also publishers (Universal for the Benedictus and Elkin for the Nocturne. Elkin was later taken over by Novello and Music Sales, none of these publishers know anything about the piece though!).
    I am hoping to find someone that either worked for FD&H or maybe hired/played the pieces back in the '50s...
    Thanks!
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cocolinmichela View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for three music scores by British composer William Lloyd Webber (father of Andrew and Julian), these are:

-Sonatina for violin and piano (1930's)
    -Benedictus for Strings - PRS Tunecode 0592275V
    -Nocturne for piano and strings - PRS Tunecode 2992995Q

These were all available for hire from Francis Day & Hunter in the 1950s. The PRS website shows some tunecodes associated to them and also publishers (Universal for the Benedictus and Elkin for the Nocturne. Elkin was later taken over by Novello and Music Sales, none of these publishers know anything about the piece though!).
    I am hoping to find someone that either worked for FD&H or maybe hired/played the pieces back in the '50s...
    Thanks!
    Being absorbed into Music Sales is a death sentence for the availability of much lesser known music.

On the subject of Francis, Day & Hunter, I've been collecting Stanley Holloway Monologues published by this company. Anyone who has access to Edgar Marriott's The Battle of Hastings would be my friend for life.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I think all three are published by Stainer & Bell the Violin Sonatina is, I can only only locate a Benedictus for Violin & Organ and Nocturne for Cello & Piano as published.

Had problems with Music Sales in the past the staff haven't got a clue what they publish and don't seem that interested either!

Comment

• amateur51

I'll try to remember to ask our friend salymap who used to work for Augener's in their hire library, amongst others. If she knows anything, I'll post again.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Alpie

The Battle of Hastings is in a collection I have called Albert, 'Arold and others. My copy is in pretty poor condition though.
          Is it just the words you want, or an 'original'?
          Abebooks.co.uk have some copies for sale.

Albert 'Arold and others by Marriott Edgar and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.

Thanks to Dave2002 I have been able to give the link.
          But why isn't it red like in other posts?
          Hope this helps.

Am I now your friend for life?

PS: I didn't preview; it's gone red now!
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 30-05-14, 14:46. Reason: PS added!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Alpie

The Battle of Hastings is in a collection I have called Albert, 'Arold and others. My copy is in pretty poor condition though.
            Is it just the words you want, or an 'original'?

............ ...........

Am I now your friend for life!
            I'm sure you are my friend for life, but I have the same book, but as you say, it's only the words. The full versions with piano accompaniments are increasingly difficult to trace. I have quite a few of these:
            The Lion and Albert
            The Return of Albert
            'Alt! Who goes theer?
            Marksman Sam
            Old Sam
            Three Ha'pence a foot
            Uppards
            Runcorn Ferry
            The Jubilee Sov'rin
            Beat the Retreat on thy Drum
            Sam's Medal

...plus two more that are labelled as monologues, but are printed as though they are songs:

With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm
            Brahn Boots

So no Battle of Hastings there.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I had no idea that they were ever set to music.

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were looking for, but you simply mentioned monologues, so I assumed that it was just the words, and by 'original' I meant not a photocopy.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

All Holloway's recordings of the monologues have the piano tinkling away in the background.

Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 31-05-14, 13:33.

Comment

Working...
                X