• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
    Thankyou for the Dorati 'thumbs up'. Bought it (yes 1p!) and greatly enjoyed it (though I have many other versions). Not the most bombastic but great sound and lots of interesting detail I havent heard in other versions - or live performances.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
      Thankyou for the Dorati 'thumbs up'. Bought it (yes 1p!) and greatly enjoyed it (though I have many other versions). Not the most bombastic but great sound and lots of interesting detail I havent heard in other versions - or live performances.
      In its vinyl LP manifestation, Dorati's Detroit Rite was coupled with Petrushka. That's how I first acquired it from a long close-down shop north of Oxford Street, London. Since then it has appeared on CD, coupled variously with The Firebird and Petrushka. Most recently it has been re-issued as part of a double CD set with The Firebird, Petrushka, Apollon Musagetes and (first time release, I think) a somewhat less inspired Scherzo Fantastique. I must admit that, having picked up used copies of most of the combinations over the years, I still fell for the double CD, only to find the performance of the Scherzo Fantastique something of a disappointment. However, as I have mentioned before, Dorati's Detroit Petrushka is rather special in that he reinstates part of the original orchestration according to his recollection of what the composer advised him he regretted changing for the 1947 edition.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

My introduction to both Petrushka and the Rite was a Decca Ovation cassette of the Dorati performances - both superb and I was delighted to come across a cheap second hand coupling of them on CD not all that long ago .

The Petrushka is probably even more impressive than the Rite.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

... but many recent recordings treat the work as a sort-of Pictures at an Exhibition/Scheherezade - type orchestral showpiece: it's like King Kong in chains - it's just waiting to get free and take its revenge!
          I hope that is not a reference to Chailly, whose Cleveland recording of The Rite was coupled with his RCO Pictures on a Decca Ovation CD.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            ... coupled with his RCO Pictures on a Decca Ovation CD.

I'm melting! I'm MELTING!!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Just ordered the Markevitch (on Testament) from the Testament website.

Amazon £16.24
              Amazon Marketplace £11.76 (inc p&p)
              Testament £10.99 (p&p free)

Puzzling.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                Just ordered the Markevitch (on Testament) from the Testament website.

Amazon £16.24
                Amazon Marketplace £11.76 (inc p&p)
                Testament £10.99 (p&p free)

Puzzling.
                That is indeed, puzzling......

But what exactly is the difference between Amazon and Amazon Marketplace? Is it merely the latter is one of the many sellers, and not actually Amazon itself?

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

The term "Amazon Marketplace" covers the independent seller offerings on the Amazon platform.

Even odder is that the Testament disc is marked as "Import" on the Amazon website.

(The mp3 download is only £2.99. Sometimes, Amazon's pricing is very strange - probably due to the algorithm they use.)
                  Last edited by johnb; 06-06-14, 18:13.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks, johnb. That's what I'd thought was the case.

It is strange how Amazon sometimes describes and prices its CDs. I also find that there is sometimes a huge disparity between the UK Amazon prices, and France Amazon. It's always worth doing a double-check!

An example is that I found the RVW symphony set (Previn) was - for me, at least - prohibitively expensive, but found a new one (and only one!) lurking on France Amazon for only 4,99€. The rest is history, but I was happy!

Comment

• soileduk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      (The mp3 download is only £2.99. Sometimes, Amazon's pricing is very strange - probably due to the algorithm they use.)
                      If you follow the link to the MP3 you actually get the performance by Stravinsky and the Columbia Symphony

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Qobuz are offering a 96/24 transfer for €5.99. No idea how good or bad the transfer is. I have the 2 CD EMI France set (bought for a song in an HMV sale a few years ago):

[Anyone wondering how all the works listed on the artwork could be fitted on just 2 CDs should note that Petrouchka is represented by just the Danse russe, Chez Petrouchka and La fête populaire, and Pulcinella is the suite, not the ballet with song. The Prokofiev works are also represented by suites.]
                        Last edited by Bryn; 06-06-14, 19:08.

Comment

Working...
                        X