• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

The Rite of Spring - definitive recording

Hullo,

I need to get Stravinsky's Rite of Spring for a school project in digital format (I only have a battered old vinyl LP) ..
    As I'm paying for it might as well make it a good one..

Anyone suggest a really good recording to get? What's your fave 'Rite' ?

thanks
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

No such thing as a "definitive" recording of this multi-faceted work, R64; apart from anything else, there are at least two published versions of the work which differ in detail (most notably in the very last chord). Markevich has never been surpassed, 'tho' the sound is extremely good - for a 55year-old recording!

Stravinsky's own last recording should be in every serious Music collection - but not "definitive" (and the recording is half a century old).

For digital sound, Antal Dorati's Detroit recording from the early '80s gives an exceptionally good performance in very clear detail (and well worth 1p + p&p!):

... but many recent recordings treat the work as a sort-of Pictures at an Exhibition/Scheherezade - type orchestral showpiece: it's like King Kong in chains - it's just waiting to get free and take its revenge!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I would certainly agree with fhg's suggestions both the Markevich and Stravinsky recordings have the necessary savage rhythmic drive, raw energy and mystical awe essential in this work The Rite has become such a standard orchestral showpiece in recent years that performances tend to 'gloss over' these elements and why we often have beautiful transparent and spectacular recordings some tend to have the raw energy and drive of a polite Sunday Afternoon Tea at the local Church Hall.

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

The original Philips LP of Stravinsky conducting The Rite included his own preamble 'Apropos of le Sacre' in which he describes the conception and first performance: a fascinating bonus, but it is omitted from the Sony 3 CD set of Ballets. vol. 1. It must have been reissued somewhere on CD, does anyone know where? It would be great for the kids to hear the composer's own commentary on such a revolutionary work.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
          The Rite has become such a standard orchestral showpiece in recent years that performances tend to 'gloss over' these elements and why we often have beautiful transparent and spectacular recordings some tend to have the raw energy and drive of a polite Sunday Afternoon Tea at the local Church Hall.
          Are you by any chance thinking of Karajan?

Monteux has to be in the running.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

, suffy

I haven't heard Rattle's BPO recording, but the Prom he gave some years ago delivered the fury all right: I think the mobile 'phone inspired everyone! (And Rattle has at least performed the work as part of a ballet performance:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

I think it's worth considering a handful of discs, especially since they can be picked up quite cheaply on Amazon.

From the ones that I own, I'd suggest:

Stravinsky's own performance on Sony £3.07 New on Amazon

Boulez Cleveland DG - £3.21 s/h on Amazon (but I'm a bit of a Boulez fan, and often miss his foibles, I suppose)

And although down the years many have viewed Karajan's 1964 and 1975 recordings ambivalently, I think they are amazing, especially the 1975.

Karajan 1964 on Amazon £3.88 new.

Karajan 1975 on Amazon s/h £3.28
              new - £5.10

I rate my Esa Pekka Salonen CD too.

And here's a discography to peruse, with a cup of coffee and some Garibaldis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rit...ng_discography

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Maybe among others EA

Monteux's I haven't heard for years. I found Ansermet's Suisse Romande recording poor both in recording quality and performance, I expected more bite from it.

On an educational note, there are a series of videos on youtube of Bernstein rehearsing and conducting The Rite with a German Youth Orchestra in the 1980s which are worth watching.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Stravinsky was highly critical of Karajan's muddy recording from the '60s, but his later (late '70s) is much more energetic. An interesting, rather than essential recording.

Really? The recording from the late '50s with the Paris Conservatoire has poor orchestral playing, indifferent recorded sound and too careful conducting - it falls before the first hurdle; is there another recording by Monteux?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Really? The recording from the late '50s with the Paris Conservatoire has poor orchestral playing, indifferent recorded sound and too careful conducting - it falls before the first hurdle; is there another recording by Monteux?
                    I was think more of its historical significance.

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

Thanks to all for your suggestions ... plenty to chew on.

Pass the Garibaldis Beef!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Monteux apparently made 7 recordings of The Rite, the one I've heard I think was with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

The 100th Anniversary of the piece was last year. There were a couple of bargain boxes containing multiple recordings issued then, probably more than the OP was looking for.
                          For years Boulez/Cleveland was my only recording. Solti/Chicago captures a lot of the energy and fierceness that other posters here have lamented are missing from more modern sleek recordings (Jansons , for example).
                          Monteux did make multiple recordings although he is on record as saying that he didn't really love the piece. I have his Boston early 50s mono recording that was part of a large Monteux box that RCA issued around 20 years ago that I haven't listened to in years.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            No such thing as a "definitive" recording of this multi-faceted work, R64; apart from anything else, there are at least two published versions of the work which differ in detail (most notably in the very last chord). Markevich has never been surpassed, 'tho' the sound is extremely good - for a 55year-old recording!

I would support Markevitch but also for sentimental reasons. It was one of the first classical LPs I bought as a teenager. I've just been to the garage to check it. Dated 1960 on the sleeve, Music For Pleasure label, glorious mono, with a strikingly red picture of Ayers Rock on the cover. Nearly 50 years later I probably ought to upgrade to stereo.

Comment

• Radio64
                              • Jan 2014

Thanks for your many suggestions, folks..

Think I might go for a Markevitch, if only for its 'vintage' appeal...and if its a good performance/recording, all the better

Comment

Working...
                              X