X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moeranbiogman
    • Jun 2024

Douglas Cummings RIP

The LSO has released the sad news of Douglas Cummings' passing. I well remember looking forward to those Prom concerts where he would be leading the cellos always with passion, deep concentration and not a small amount of body swaying!
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by moeranbiogman View Post
    The LSO has released the sad news of Douglas Cummings' passing. I well remember looking forward to those Prom concerts where he would be leading the cellos always with passion, deep concentration and not a small amount of body swaying!

Oh no! I'm very sad at this news. I remember him playing (I think) the Saint-Saens 'cello concerto in an episode of Andre Previn's Music Night a LONG time ago. Didn't he have a stroke at some point?

Thanks for the music, Dougie.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      Oh no! I'm very sad at this news. I remember him playing (I think) the Saint-Saens 'cello concerto in an episode of Andre Previn's Music Night a LONG time ago. Didn't he have a stroke at some point?

Thanks for the music, Dougie.
      Yes PG, I remember that well!

Such a good affable man.

Such a good cellist.

Such a good human.

RIP DOUGLAS CUMMINGS
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Very sad to see the well loved orchestral musicians of my earlier years departing this life.

Here is the tribute on the LSO website:http://lso.co.uk/douglas-cummings
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Very sad news.
          A wonderful Schubert Quintet with the Lindsays.

RIP Douglas Cummings.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just catching up with news after a holiday - sad indeed. I saw him many times with the LSO but first saw him when he came to Exeter University in 1970 to play the Schumann concerto with a student orchestra.

Comment

Working...
            X