X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Thanks again ferney.

What a fabulous sound in that 'gas tank' too.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Thanks again ferney.

Yes, and a surprising sound, Rob, though I had already bought the Suites with Dmitry Badiarov playing his own violoncello da spalla. Still, I was caught off guard slightly.

My last live recital was of the cello suites when I visited the Heaney Centre in September. They were played on the other cello.

Comment

• Beresford
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Thanks again ferney.

Looks like the mic is fastened to the tailpiece - I can't see one anywhere else.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Cantata BWV 137; "Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König der Ehren"

"Praise the Lord, the Mighty King of Honour" - a 3VpP performance (presumably following Bach's practice in Cantata 29 and elsewhere, of supplying ripieno parts in works involving trios of trumpets in the orchestra) given by the Netherlands Bach Society, conducted by Peter Dijkstra, and recorded in the Walloon Church in Amsterdam in February.

Over all too soon.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Praise the Lord - I was able to see this one!

How I enjoyed seeing and hearing this marvellous group again. I read the notes and realise how much detail is contained in this piece and how cleverly it is structured. But then, I think that every time I hear Bach. For now I'm just enjoying the singing and playing and recognising a few old 'friends' in the ensemble.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Praise the Lord - I was able to see this one!
              Hurrah!

How I enjoyed seeing and hearing this marvellous group again. I read the notes and realise how much detail is contained in this piece and how cleverly it is structured. But then, I think that every time I hear Bach. For now I'm just enjoying the singing and playing and recognising a few old 'friends' in the ensemble.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Hurrah!
                I seem to have all my videos back again - I have checked a few that I know I could not previously access and there they are! I did nothing; it must be a miracle. I have many to catch up on, but I'll grit my teeth and think of Christmas.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  I seem to have all my videos back again - I have checked a few that I know I could not previously access and there they are! I did nothing; it must be a miracle. I have many to catch up on, but I'll grit my teeth and think of Christmas.
                  Made up for you,so much to look forward to Padraig.

Thanks as always ferney.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Chorale Prelude "Herr Gott, nun schleuss den Himmel auf", BWV 1092

Splendid to hear the excellent news about the miracle, Padraig - and, to celebrate .... erm ... a piece lasting two-and-a-half minutes! Bart at Bavo's again for this early work, possibly written when the composer was still in his teens.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Splendid to hear the excellent news about the miracle, Padraig - and, to celebrate .... erm ... a piece lasting two-and-a-half minutes! Bart at Bavo's again for this early work, possibly written when the composer was still in his teens.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-1092/
                      two-and-a-half-minutes quite sufficient a celebration for me, fhg.
                      The 'miracle', which is still generating, takes a bit longer. Out of 42 cantatas so far performed I have caught up on 9. The video of each cantata is a work of art showing not only the expertise of each performance but the love and commitment of all the participants to the music and often to each other.

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

Violoncello da Spalla - "little big viol for the shoulder" - the five-stringed instrument for which Bach (might have) written the Sixth of his unaccompanied 'cello suites. This is the first of the works to be included in the "All of Bach" project, recorded a year ago by Russian 'cellist Sergey Malov in the Gashouder, Amsterdam - a former gas tank, now used for Arts events.

I liked this a lot!

PS - yes; a "gas tank": I kid thee not!

http://www.westergasfabriek.nl/en/locations/gashouder/
                        Just caught up with this one. For me it's the most stunning thing so far in this project and one of the most amazing/stunning things I've seen and heard this year. Just incredible.

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                          Just caught up with this one. For me it's the most stunning thing so far in this project and one of the most amazing/stunning things I've seen and heard this year. Just incredible.
                          Since I have been viewing all the Cantatas so far performed I noted that in BWV 22 and BWV 23 Lucia Swarts and Sigiswald Kuijken both play the violoncello da spalla, though not as a solo instrument.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Extraordinary.

So different from Yo-Yo Ma at the Proms on his ‘cello, sublime though that experience was in the RAH.

Just the sight of someone playing this archaic instrument is remarkable enough, but of course the sound is totally engaging and unsurprisingly perfectly matched to the task.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Agreed,and thanks as always for the continuing updates ferney

Comment

• hmvman
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                                Looks like the mic is fastened to the tailpiece - I can't see one anywhere else.
                                The mics were positioned up on a bracket or 'tree' arrangement - you can see them being set up in one of the interview videos. They're positioned quite high presumably to capture the acoustic of the tank as well. I don't think that's a mic on the tail of the instrument and it wouldn't produce the superb sound that we can hear. I would guess that the audio was recorded alongside the wide shots with the mics out of shot and then the close ups were taken separately. Clearly there were at least two full takes - one with a dry floor and one with the water. Interesting that they chose to cut to the 'wet' shots halfway through, at the Sarabande. Great result though.

Comment

Working...
                                X