Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

excellent

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The Eleventh pair from the First Book of Das wohltemperierte Klavier. Wonderful - no doubt some impurists would prefer some kind of modern orchestration, but the nasty, elitist HIPPy purists love it just the way it is.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-856/
      Nice,thanks ferney.
      I've been listening to Richter in DWK a lot lately.he takes this one at breakneck speed.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Nice,thanks ferney.
        I've been listening to Richter in DWK a lot lately.he takes this one at breakneck speed.
        ... Karl or Sviatoslav?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... Karl or Sviatoslav?

Sorry,Sviatoslav

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Fugue in G, BWV957

A happy little couple of minutes, based on the chorale tune Machs mit mir, Gott, nach deiner Güt (for which one online translator suggests "Do it with me, God, for fun"!!!) Played by Bart Jacobs on the now-familiar Muller organ of the St Bavo's Cathedral in Haarlem.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

A happy little couple of minutes, based on the chorale tune Machs mit mir, Gott, nach deiner Güt (for which one online translator suggests "Do it with me, God, for fun"!!!) Played by Bart Jacobs on the now-familiar Muller organ of the St Bavo's Cathedral in Haarlem.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-957/
              Nice,thanks as ever ferney.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

"Frebch Suite" in B minor, BWV814

Played by Pierre Hantaï using (if I've understood the blurb correctly) Gustav Leonhardt's old Harpsichord, and recorded on a rainy day last December. Six movements, lasting just over 16mins: Allemand, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte/"Anglaise", Minet & Trio, Gigue.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Did anyone else hear the Edinburgh International Festival at 75 at 13.00 today? It's a series of concerts from the archives spanning the Festival's existence.

Today's concert was from 1975 and featured Mstislav Rostropovich playing Bach in St. Cuthbert's Church in Lothian Road. Marvellous playing from the great Russian 'cellist from a performance he gave shortly after 'emigrating' from the USSR.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Played by Pierre Hantaï using (if I've understood the blurb correctly) Gustav Leonhardt's old Harpsichord, and recorded on a rainy day last December. Six movements, lasting just over 16mins: Allemand, Courante, Sarabande, Gavotte/"Anglaise", Minet & Trio, Gigue.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-814/

... the Menuet was the first Bach piece I ever learnt, some fifty years ago.

I have to say Pierre Hantaï's execution of the ornaments is far more stylish than ever mine was...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Did anyone else hear the Edinburgh International Festival at 75 at 13.00 today? It's a series of concerts from the archives spanning the Festival's existence.

Today's concert was from 1975 and featured Mstislav Rostropovich playing Bach in St. Cuthbert's Church in Lothian Road. Marvellous playing from the great Russian 'cellist from a performance he gave shortly after 'emigrating' from the USSR.
                      I have just listened,thanks pg.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... the Menuet was the first Bach piece I ever learnt, some fifty years ago.

I have to say Pierre Hantaï's execution of the ornaments is far more stylish than ever mine was...

Now then,I can play this,after a fashion,veeeeeery slowly,no ornaments,sometimes even without a wrong note.

Thanks as always ferney for the link.

Comment

• Beresford
                          • Apr 2012

Included is a moving tribute to his teacher Gustav Leonhardt, by Pierre Hantai.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Hope I'm not butting in ferney

More organ music,an Italian job
                            BWV 714 Ach,Gott und Herr

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Can't wait for the organ recital tomorrow, featuring the great man's work.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Many thanks, Edgey.

(I spent much of yesterday rearranging a room in order to put a couple of new book and CD shelves in, and found myself surrounded by piles of books that not only could I not lift the shelves over, but I also couldn't get through myself, without knocking them over! In the end, I gave up in order to "sleep on it" [the problem, not the books] and I'm going to try some different ideas today. I may be some time! )

Wonderful piece, isn't it - I can't remember ever hearing it before, although I must have done when I played through the Bowers complete recording, but in that context it didn't fascinate as much as Mr Jacobs' did. Balm to a dented soul.

Comment

Working...
                                X