X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "Praise the Lord, All Ye Lands!" - a wonderfully joyous work: generously repaying 18 minutes of listening time with a lifetime of glorious invigoration!

Maria Keohane has as gorgeously-sounding an instrument as the guy with the medium-sized CD collection last week, gorgeously accompanied by a gorgeous-sounding ensemble (in particular, trumpet solos played by Robert Vanryne) conducted by the gorgeously wonderful Jos van Veldhoven, recorded in the gorgeous Great Church in Naarden in Holland, a week before last Christmas.

Gorgeous!

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-51/
    Thanks ferney,gorgeouser than just gorgeous.
    I suspect that guy last week had shelves of CDs all over the place.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      I suspect that guy last week had shelves of CDs all over the place.
      Wasn't that Pulcie?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Fantasia super: Christ lag in Todesbanden; BWV695

Dorien Schouten plays this five-minute Chorale Prelude, based on a theme by Martin Luther and Johann Walther (itself possibly based on an existing melody from the 11th Century by Wipo of Burgundy [c995 - c1048]) that Bach also used several other times - such as the early Easter Cantata BWV4 from c1707.

Wonderful stuff - but I'm a bit confused by the notes on the AoB site which suggests that the authorship of this piece is "sometimes questioned": the accompanying mini-essay instead suggests that it is the alternative version (BWV695a) which is so questioned. Wha'evva - wonderful Music, splendidly played by Ms Schouten - and all thanks to Bach's pupil Johann Kirnberger who found and collected this and so many other of Bach's organ works after the composer's death.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Belated thanks ferney.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Prelude & Fugue in B minor, BWV544

We stay in the Upper Church in Kampen again this week for a (rather splendid) performance of the B minor Prelude & Fugue BWV544, played by Elske te Lindert (with Dorien Schouten turning the pages!) and recorded last October.

The very engaging discussion by Ms te Lindert is very worth watching, too - but whilst the accompanying essaylet is informative, it's one that, when I read its descriptions of the "emotional" qualities of the piece, makes me wonder if they're describing the same piece that I'm listening to. "Tangible despair", "a melancholy lament"??? This is such energetic and powerful Music - I don't feel the slightest "despair" or "melancholy" in it: "stoical drama" is about as far as I'd be prepared to concede.

Again - wha'evva: this is bloomin' good Music, remarkably well played: some of the best 12 minutes I've spent today! (And the video of the organ and orgnist is worth seeing, too.)

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... marvellous.

And the church is so Sanredam...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

We stay in the Upper Church in Kampen again this week for a (rather splendid) performance of the B minor Prelude & Fugue BWV544, played by Elske te Lindert (with Dorien Schouten turning the pages!) and recorded last October.

The very engaging discussion by Ms te Lindert is very worth watching, too - but whilst the accompanying essaylet is informative, it's one that, when I read its descriptions of the "emotional" qualities of the piece, makes me wonder if they're describing the same piece that I'm listening to. "Tangible despair", "a melancholy lament"??? This is such energetic and powerful Music - I don't feel the slightest "despair" or "melancholy" in it: "stoical drama" is about as far as I'd be prepared to concede.

Again - wha'evva: this is bloomin' good Music, remarkably well played: some of the best 12 minutes I've spent today! (And the video of the organ and orgnist is worth seeing, too.)
                    Wonderful,don't know about despair,I found it uplifting,thanks ferney.

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

I'm a bit confused by the notes on the AoB site which suggests that the authorship of this piece is "sometimes questioned": the accompanying mini-essay instead suggests that it is the alternative version (BWV695a) which is so questioned. Wha'evva - wonderful Music, splendidly played by Ms Schouten - and all thanks to Bach's pupil Johann Kirnberger who found and collected this and so many other of Bach's organ works after the composer's death.
                      The notes are even more confusing given that they show the release date of this recording as 1st January 2018!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Motet: "Der Geist hilft unsrer Schwachheit auf", BWV226

A lively and invigorating performance of this seven-minute funeral piece: Stephan MacLeod conducts the (25-strong) Netherlands Bach Society Choir and (11-strong) Instrumental ensemble, recorded two years and two weeks ago in the Great Church of Naarden in North Holland. (Nice-looking place, too:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

A lively and invigorating performance of this seven-minute funeral piece: Stephan MacLeod conducts the (25-strong) Netherlands Bach Society Choir and (11-strong) Instrumental ensemble, recorded two years and two weeks ago in the Great Church of Naarden in North Holland. (Nice-looking place, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naarde...Naarden_kl.JPG
                          Many thanks as always ferney

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Many thanks as always ferney
                            Ooops! Forgot to provide the link for the Motet!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Ooops! Forgot to provide the link for the Motet!

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-226/
                              I didn't like to say !

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Chorale Prelude "Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier", BWV 730

A little late this week (it hadn't been posted on the AoB website before I had to leave this morning) but by coincidence a suitably crepuscular two-minute piece of calm, played by Erwin Wiersinga on the 1731 Treutmann organ of St George's Collegiate Church in Goslar, Lower Saxony.

Comment

Working...
                                X