• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Canzona in D minor. BWV588

A six-and-a-half minute treat this week - played by Dorien Schouten on the larger of the two organs of the Bovenkerk in Kampen, Holland, dating (in its present form) from 1743.

Just perfect.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

BWV 741 - Chorale Prelude "Ach Gott, vom Himmel sieh darein"

A four-and-a-half minute piece, recorded two years ago by Leo van Doeselaar on the organ of St Catherine's Church in Hamburg (where Bach himself performed twice in his life - in 1701 and 1720 - of not necessarily on the precise organ that van Doeselaar plays).

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Another work I don't remember ever having heard before. When listening, it seemed a little familiar, somehow - the interview with the organist reveals the source of my "semi-recognition"!

Sixteen years old when he wrote this - not really the "child prodigy" suggested in the interview, but certainly a prodigious achievement. (If I were to look upon the Harmony and Counterpoint exercises I did at the same age, it'd probably depress me beyond endurance. Better to stick to admiration for what Bach achieves here, I think.)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Another work I don't remember ever having heard before. When listening, it seemed a little familiar, somehow - the interview with the organist reveals the source of my "semi-recognition"!

Sixteen years old when he wrote this - not really the "child prodigy" suggested in the interview, but certainly a prodigious achievement. (If I were to look upon the Harmony and Counterpoint exercises I did at the same age, it'd probably depress me beyond endurance. Better to stick to admiration for what Bach achieves here, I think.)
          Not bad for a 16 year old.
          I assume you refer to the use of the Chorale melody by Mozart ferney,seems he wasn't the only one

Chorale Melody: Melody and Text, Use of the Chorale Melody by Bach, Use of the Chorale Melody by other composers

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Prelude & Fugue in c minor, BWV 847

A piece familiar to me this week - the second of "the 48", played by Masato Suzuki* (son of the Bach Collegium Japan conductor and Mezzo Soprano).

(* - NOT this chap:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

A piece familiar to me this week - the second of "the 48", played by Masato Suzuki* (son of the Bach Collegium Japan conductor and Mezzo Soprano).

(* - NOT this chap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masato_Suzuki
              Thanks ferney,swhat Fridays are for

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Partita for Solo Violin in d minor, BWV 1004

A performance recorded last November by Sunske Sato in front of a very lucky audience of seven listeners in the "Old Village Church" in Bunnik (a village in Holland, South-East of Utrecht) - a perfect venue for such nuanced Music and Music-making. (A wee bit "expressive" for the slower dances? Could anyone dance to such tempo shadings? Still; captivating and convincing as it was happening, I felt - and a decent professional dancer could work wonders with it.)

Culminating in the astonishing Chaconne, this is Music that simultaneously humbles and "elevates" the attentive listener - well worth devoting half-an-hour of the weekend to.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

A performance recorded last November by Sunske Sato in front of a very lucky audience of seven listeners in the "Old Village Church" in Bunnik (a village in Holland, South-East of Utrecht) - a perfect venue for such nuanced Music and Music-making. (A wee bit "expressive" for the slower dances? Could anyone dance to such tempo shadings? Still; captivating and convincing as it was happening, I felt - and a decent professional dancer could work wonders with it.)

Culminating in the astonishing Chaconne, this is Music that simultaneously humbles and "elevates" the attentive listener - well worth devoting half-an-hour of the weekend to.
                  Why wait til weekend,stop what you are doing and listen NOW.
                  There are about 2 minutes of music in the Chaconne,from 22:24 in this performance,which always make me cry,though in the Busoni piano transcription they seem even more devastating.
                  No idea why.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Why wait til weekend,stop what you are doing and listen NOW.
                    Ah, but for us retirees, the weekend starts on Friday morning - and ends on Thursday evening.

(Very good for the heart, Bach, by the way.)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Ah, but for us retirees, the weekend starts on Friday morning - and ends on Thursday evening.

(Very good for the heart, Bach, by the way.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Fantasia & Fugue in c minor, BWV 537

Performed by Erwin Wiersinga on the organ built in 1731 by Christophe Treutmann for the newly-rebuilt Collegiate Church of St Georg in Goslar-Grauhof, Lower Saxony. Recorded last year.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Performed by Erwin Wiersinga on the organ built in 1731 by Christophe Treutmann for the newly-rebuilt Collegiate Church of St Georg in Goslar-Grauhof, Lower Saxony. Recorded last year.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-537/
                          Thanks ferney
                          The one Elgar and Strauss were supposed to orchestrate jointly before Straussy bottled it ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Thanks ferney
                            The one Elgar and Strauss were supposed to orchestrate jointly before Straussy bottled it ?
                            That's the one - so Eddie had it all to himself.

By the way - I don't like to mention it, but this is the "All of Bark" Thread - the avatar?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

That's the one - so Eddie had it all to himself.

By the way - I don't like to mention it, but this is the "All of Bark" Thread - the avatar?
                              Sorry,I thought the RVW/Tallis image looked rather good.
                              I've now put things right.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Sorry,I thought the RVW/Tallis image looked rather good.
                                I've now put things right.

Comment

Working...
                                X