X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Solo Cantata BWV 35.

The best work yet in my opinion. Great orchestral playing, wonderful organ - solo and accompanying - great singing. Getting to recognise quite a few members of the ensemble, but I had to find out about the oboe da caccia as there was no credit for that player, or for the second oboe.

I wish, again, that a female singer had been chosen.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      Solo Cantata BWV 35.

The best work yet in my opinion. Great orchestral playing, wonderful organ - solo and accompanying - great singing. Getting to recognise quite a few members of the ensemble, but I had to find out about the oboe da caccia as there was no credit for that player, or for the second oboe.

Yes Padraig.

Almost a concerto for all concerned,such is the virtuosity required.

Comment

• Lento
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
        I thought that the singer didn't seem entirely at ease in the first aria, and so I dipped into 3 or 4 performances on Apple Music. I suspect that it's a tricky one to bring off, as none of them sounded all that great to me. A female singer was the only one I felt was secure, but she had vibrato!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Concerto BWV 595

Another short and oh so sweet organ piece.
          Arranged from a work by Prince Johann Ernst von Saxe-Weimar no less.
          Lots of jumping around from one manual to another,I was dizzy just watching,and listening just once is not enough

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Concerto BWV 595

Lots of jumping around from one manual to another...
            Delightful performance. Elske was amusing about the jumping around and frank about the difficulties therein. Did her performance avoid the difficulties completely? I enjoyed the concerto and her presentation.
            I did notice her shoes, having been alerted by another thread. Delightful also.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

More organ Music this week - the chorale prelude on Ein Feste Burg ist unser Gott, BWV 720, played by Theo Jellema on the organ of St George's Collegiate Church, Goslar-Grauhof.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                More organ Music this week - the chorale prelude on Ein Feste Burg ist unser Gott, BWV 720, played by Theo Jellema on the organ of St George's Collegiate Church, Goslar-Grauhof.

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-720/
                Thanks Ferney,I'm still with this,can't imagine Fridays without AoB.
                Trouble is I can't always think of anything to say except how wonderful Bach and this site are.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Trouble is I can't always think of anything to say except how wonderful Bach and this site are.
                  Yeah - that happens a lot with Bach.

Always good to remind everyone that the site is ongoing every now and then - I often forget when Friday comes.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Juvvly Lubbly - this week a work I don't know, and can't remember ever hearing; the Sonata in Bminor for flute and harpsichord BWV 1030 - performed in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam by Marten Root and Manno van Delft:

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Juvvly Lubbly - this week a work I don't know, and can't remember ever hearing; the Sonata in Bminor for flute and harpsichord BWV 1030 - performed in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam by Marten Root and Manno van Delft:

New to me too ferney,but so much JSB still is.
                      Marvelous,another 'listening once is not enough' instalment.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Trio in d minor, BWV 583l 24/6/16

Another short (5min 20secs) work for solo organ this week ("Trio" because there are three different lines/parts being played between the two hands and the pedals). Played by Dorien Schouten on the organ of the Bovernkerk in Kampen in the Netherlands - an instrument dating from about ten years after Bach wrote the piece.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-583/

Another short (5min 20secs) work for solo organ this week ("Trio" because there are three different lines/parts being played between the two hands and the pedals). Played by Dorien Schouten on the organ of the Bovernkerk in Kampen in the Netherlands - an instrument dating from about ten years after Bach wrote the piece.

https://www.milandigitalaudio.com/in...ck=Instruments

Thanks Ferney,interesting link too.
                          So are Bach's trios for organ essentially trio sonatas ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

So are Bach's trios for organ essentially trio sonatas ?
                            Not really - his Trio Sonatas for solo organ are three-movement works in the style of the Italian Trio Sonatas (in the same way that the Italian Concerto is a work for solo harpsichord in the style of the solo/orchestral Italian Concerto). The four works with the title "Trio" (BWV 584 - 586) are single movement, "stand alone" pieces with three simultaneous distinct "lines" or "voices".

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Not really - his Trio Sonatas for solo organ are three-movement works in the style of the Italian Trio Sonatas (in the same way that the Italian Concerto is a work for solo harpsichord in the style of the solo/orchestral Italian Concerto). The four works with the title "Trio" (BWV 584 - 586) are single movement, "stand alone" pieces with three simultaneous distinct "lines" or "voices".
                              Ah I see,many thanks as always for taking the time and trouble to explain.
                              I must owe you several s by now.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

I must owe you several s by now.
                                After yesterday's result, I need every single one of them

Comment

Working...
                                X