X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    At this time, 14.40, the new number has not yet appeared - merely an observation.
    When things go wrong I'm inclined, with good reason, to blame myself. So, when at 20.00 there was still no sign (on my machinery) of a new Bach on Friday I went back to previous numbers, viz Cantatas Nun Komm Der Heiden Heiland, BWV 61 and 62 - since we have just had Chorale Preludes BWV 659, 660 and 661. I have already got my 'favourites' list of Bach compositions - none of which has yet appeared on AoB - but I have just added Cantata BWV 61, having listened to it again for the first time since its Friday appearance. I know this could present a massive logistics problem, so maybe I'll just mosey along with the Friday offering and keep it simple. Know what I mean, ER?

Comment

• Hitch
      • Nov 2010

The latest piece popped up at about 10pm yesterday. Onwards!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Yes I know what you mean Padraig.
        Thanks Hitch,I wasn't able to listen yesterday but caught up this morning,and well worth waiting for was

Halt im Gedächtnis Jesum Christ, BWV 67.

A lot to take in,that last Chorale is so.......I don't know,peaceful doesn't seem the right word .....but made me feel at peace.

Intersting talk on flutes and table legs on the site.

Analysis on the cantata website here http://www.jsbachcantatas.com/docume...-50-bwv-67.htm

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Halt im Gedächtnis Jesum Christ, BWV 67.
          I've sung in this! In English ("He now is ris'n/From death's dark pris'n"!) - thirty-four years ago! Conducted by the Brass Band composer, Philip Wilby.

One of my favourite Bach pieces, and some of my fondest memories.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I've sung in this! In English ("He now is ris'n/From death's dark pris'n"!) - thirty-four years ago! Conducted by the Brass Band composer, Philip Wilby.

One of my favourite Bach pieces, and some of my fondest memories.
            That must have been quite an occasion ferney !

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

That must have been quite an occasion ferney !
              Indeed ER.

I spent 3O minutes on a reply.
              It would not send for some reason, nor did it save my content.
              Sorry, but I'm not doing it again.
              It was a positive response.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

It was, indeed, Edgey and Padraig - (Tessa Bonner was the Soprano solo!) but even so, topped the next year by the Matthew Passion. (I was one of the not-so-bright chorus "Who? What? Where? How? Eh?".) Glorious experience.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Evening Friday Bach clubbers.

Back to organ music today,which is good.

Trio Sonata No 2, BWV 526.

Not for in church apparently,it's sort of chamber music.

Bouncy opening movement,haunting Largo and a complicated sounding Finale,played brilliantly I think.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Good afternoon, ER.

I did listen yesterday but I had to ponder a bit before attempting to say what I thought.
                    What I thought was that this type of sonata was new to me; I noted your Trio Sonata title and thought at first you were mistaken. Then I counted the two manuals and the pedals and thought, three parts. Then I read the notes and much became clearer. I listened to it again as a trio sonata and felt more at home.
                    I pondered further and wondered why so few come on to this thread. I'm struggling to find something to say each week and I keep reading how much learning and knowledge there is on these boards. I don't feel that I am adding anything to that sum, but also that those who could - don't. I do appreciate, ER, what you in particular have brought to this thread. I know you have given me useful pointers, even as you struggle yourself.Need I say more? Have probably said too much.

Comment

• Roehre

Back to organ music today,which is good.

Trio Sonata No 2, BWV 526.

Not for in church apparently,it's sort of chamber music.

Bouncy opening movement,haunting Largo and a complicated sounding Finale,played brilliantly I think.
                      That's why there exist some performances of "reconstructed" trio sonatas (of which this BWV526 is one) for chamber forces, most of them strings with b.c., but I've also seen one with oboe and one with flute with strings and b.c.

To be honest I prefer the non-organ-trio-sonatas, as I prefer chamber forces to an organ, and also because I am convinced the organ trio sonatas are based on recycled chamber music (or even orchestral works) - of which the originals have gone lost.

Whatever: it's enjoyable music in what guise whatsoever

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I am convinced the organ trio sonatas are based on recycled chamber music (or even orchestral works) - of which the originals have gone lost.
                        .. any evidence for this view?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          .. any evidence for this view?
                          Yes, Writing errors in the scores which likely relate to transposition of a melody from one to another instrument witha different ranges (in the case of the organ trio sonatas likely the wider one of the organ versus the reduced one of an oboe or a flute).

It's that type of changes/corrections made in scores which e.g. make it possible to define which instruments were the original solo instruments in some of the concertos which came down to us solely as keyboard concerto.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            Good afternoon, ER.

I did listen yesterday but I had to ponder a bit before attempting to say what I thought.
                            What I thought was that this type of sonata was new to me; I noted your Trio Sonata title and thought at first you were mistaken. Then I counted the two manuals and the pedals and thought, three parts. Then I read the notes and much became clearer. I listened to it again as a trio sonata and felt more at home.
                            I pondered further and wondered why so few come on to this thread. I'm struggling to find something to say each week and I keep reading how much learning and knowledge there is on these boards. I don't feel that I am adding anything to that sum, but also that those who could - don't. I do appreciate, ER, what you in particular have brought to this thread. I know you have given me useful pointers, even as you struggle yourself.Need I say more? Have probably said too much.
                            Hi Padraig.

I do struggle to put my thoughts into words when describing music of any kind,even more so on this thread as a relative JSB newbie.
                            I've been reading up quite a lot on music history,theory and stuff too (what's musicology ?),but still find analysing at times quite difficult.
                            It seems so inadequate just to say this is brilliant even though sometimes that's all I can come up with.
                            Was just thinking we need a Roehre or a vinteuil or a ferney to weigh in with their thoughts,and lo and behold.....I wonder if Jayne Lee Wilson visits this thread ?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Roehre [ #117 ]

Many thanks for this : much appreciated.

I have to say I have delighted in these works, both as organ trio-sonatas and in various instrumental versions.

As you say -

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              Whatever: it's enjoyable music in what guise whatsoever

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

I was going to suggest that the experience of the organist who played Friday's organ sonata might count as evidence that the music demanded technique that the organ could not quite meet, and therefore modifications had to be made, eg in the pedal part.

Comment

Working...
                                X