Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

BWV 664 looks as beautiful as it sounds,5 minutes is just not enough.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

My heart swims in blood.

How can you resist with that title.

Starts down here in grief and finishes up there with joy....oboe and viola......just amazing.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        My heart swims in blood.

How can you resist with that title.

Starts down here in grief and finishes up there with joy....oboe and viola......just amazing.
        With the intense breast beating that takes place in BWV 199, ER, there could be no other title. I can see the need for confession and penance, and the hope for forgiveness (as in the interpretation of Christian doctrine that I'm familiar with), and on that basis I can appreciate the sincerity of this performance. The ensemble work was impressive, pared down as it was, and I liked how the soprano was part of the fabric. Is this one reason why Bach is sometimes linked to jazz performance?
        A query: what were the roles of cello, bass viol and bassoon in this piece?

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Prelude and Fugue in G major. Organ work, BWV 541

Was present.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            Prelude and Fugue in G major. Organ work, BWV 541

Was present.
            Just had my Friday fix too.

Lorra lorra notes,in a nice order.

Might have to get a box of JSB organ stuff.

An evening of Elgar,Brahms and Bach,sweet as...

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Might have to get a box of JSB organ stuff.
              While I'm no expert on Bach's organ music I have the Simon Preston set on DG but much prefer Peter Hurford in this repertoire. His set is scandalously unavailable expect at extortionate prices though the Decca Ovation three CD sets can be had cheaply enough (which is what I did). Hurford's set surely needs an urgent reissue!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                While I'm no expert on Bach's organ music I have the Simon Preston set on DG but much prefer Peter Hurford in this repertoire. His set is scandalously unavailable expect at extortionate prices though the Decca Ovation three CD sets can be had cheaply enough (which is what I did). Hurford's set surely needs an urgent reissue!
                Thanks Pet.

The Simon Preston set looks tempting at 30 odd quid.
                The Marie-Claire Alain box is even cheaper and also has decent reviews.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Sei Lob und Preis mit Ehren,BWV 231.

Well the history of this piece is very complicated it seems.
                  First it was the middle bit of a larger work,then it wasn't JSB,then some of it was by Telemann,whatever another wonderful TGIB.

Still open to suggestions for a Bach organ music set.
                  Don't know about all this French style of playing etc etc,might just go for the MC Alain box at 20 ish quid
                  Thanks to MickyD and Dave2002 for your suggestions on the bargains thread.
                  Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 14-11-14, 16:12.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Still with it, ER. I felt we were sold a bit short, especially as they were all ready for further performance. Perhaps we'll hear what they were up to at a later date.

The organ works are the least attractive to me - I enjoy some of the big showy numbers, and some of the little numbers, if you know what I mean. I possess a 10 CD set of Bach's organ music by Helmut Walcha and in about 10 years I've played about a tenth of it. To be honest what I should have purchased would have been Bach's Amazing Organ, or something similar, in one CD. I also have the Brilliant Complete Bach Box, and the organ CDs have yet to be opened. So good luck with your selection; if you enjoy these works you have plenty to listen to.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Still with it, ER. I felt we were sold a bit short, especially as they were all ready for further performance. Perhaps we'll hear what they were up to at a later date.

The organ works are the least attractive to me - I enjoy some of the big showy numbers, and some of the little numbers, if you know what I mean. I possess a 10 CD set of Bach's organ music by Helmut Walcha and in about 10 years I've played about a tenth of it. To be honest what I should have purchased would have been Bach's Amazing Organ, or something similar, in one CD. I also have the Brilliant Complete Bach Box, and the organ CDs have yet to be opened. So good luck with your selection; if you enjoy these works you have plenty to listen to.
                      Short and sweet Padraig.

JSB's organ music has rather got under my skin,in a good way.

Comment

• Roehre

Sei Lob und Preis mit Ehren,BWV 231.

Well the history of this piece is very complicated it seems.
                        First it was the middle bit of a larger work,then it wasn't JSB,then some of it was by Telemann,whatever another wonderful TGIB......
                        Sei Lob und Preis mit Ehren BWV 231 is related to/connected with the Motet Jauchzet dem Herrn, alle Welt BWV Anh.III 160 and part of the Brilliant Complete Bach sets
                        The motet is to be found on a CPO CD of apocryphic Motets/Cantatas (vol.1, CPO 999.235-2)and the combination is to be found in the Hännsler set.
                        [ in the BWV catalogue Anhang III consists of works which are almost certainly not by JSB}.
                        BWV 231 + Anh.III 160 together are a pasticcio, likely by Magpie Telemann, whose authorship of the Cantata Ich weiss dass mein Erlöser lebt TWV I:875 [of which these two "JSB"-pieces" are a part] is beyond doubt, though it's not clear whether GPTelemann has added both movements, or whether it's been done by a copyist or "publisher".

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

I felt we were sold a bit short
                          There'll be plenty to get the teeth into once they get round to the B Minor Mass and the Passions
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            Sei Lob und Preis mit Ehren BWV 231 is related to/connected with the Motet Jauchzet dem Herrn, alle Welt BWV Anh.III 160 and part of the Brilliant Complete Bach sets
                            The motet is to be found on a CPO CD of apocryphic Motets/Cantatas (vol.1, CPO 999.235-2)and the combination is to be found in the Hännsler set.
                            [ in the BWV catalogue Anhang III consists of works which are almost certainly not by JSB}.
                            BWV 231 + Anh.III 160 together are a pasticcio, likely by Magpie Telemann, whose authorship of the Cantata Ich weiss dass mein Erlöser lebt TWV I:875 [of which these two "JSB"-pieces" are a part] is beyond doubt, though it's not clear whether GPTelemann has added both movements, or whether it's been done by a copyist or "publisher".
                            Brilliant Roehre,thank you for that.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Early on we had four performances on harpsichord from the Forty-eight: since when it's been all organ or cantatas. I hope they'll leaven the mix with more such solo pieces; the talks by the performers, and the performances in their own homes (one a canal houseboat), were charming!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                                Welcome back, Roehre; you have been missed! Hope you had a great holiday.

(It's far too early in the day, though: my bleary eyes read "Maggie Telemann"!)
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X