X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    I don’t know if it has electric lighting, but I know he used to use candles, and had a good collection of fine candlesticks which were sold off at auction after he died. I’ve always fancied doing that in one room - using candle light. Hmmm - maybe I’ll get that sorted for this autumn.
    There are some very good LED battery versions of candles these days which reduce the heat, smell, mess and fire risk of the real thing. I had a chunky one that was a wax case with the workings inside and could be switched off by "blowing it out".

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Concerto in D Minor BWV 974

Arrangement an oboe concerto by Alessandro Marcello played by Patrick Ayrton

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

I love these extra videos, I'll listen shortly.
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Yes, Rob and Mandryka, the extra video makes a big difference to this Bach 'arrangement'. And here we have a teacher pointing out how the concerto is itself a lesson by Bach in how to do ornamentation and so to every player of the piece since then.

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Menno van Delft playing the chromatic fantasy and fugue on a clavichord. If you'd have asked me I'd have said that this shouldn't work because the music demands the brilliance of a harpsichord, like the toccata of the 6th partita. But I think they've cheated by recording the clavichord closely -- so it sounds more brilliant than the recording of the Partitas he made.

Anyway, he's a good musician I think and so worth hearing.

EDIT -- I just noticed this comment, which seems spot on to me

An exceptional performance!
              I’m eager to know how this was recorded? Was the sound amplified during the performance too? I know how quiet the sound of a clavichord is. I remember doing a clavichord course 2 years ago and you can barely hear it from a distance of 10+ meters

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

In this video he seems to be using the same instrument, and when he plays (about 2 and a half minutes in) it it sounds more natural, less amplified

Comment

• Hitch
                  • Nov 2010

Catching up...

Comment

• Hitch
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• Hitch
                      • Nov 2010

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                        Catching up...
                        Hitch, I never miss an episode of All Of Bach. It is a very scholarly thread at times, so I usually confine myself to enjoying the music. Like, for example, today's piece has all sorts of doubt about it - that's when I leave it to others to comment. I know the scholars love the doubt. I don't forget that you were the one who started this great thread off.

Comment

• Hitch
                          • Nov 2010

Sorry, Padraig. I didn't mean to step on your toes. I'm not proprietorial about the thread; it belongs to everyone. In fact, I'm amazed and thankful that you and others keep updating it. As a musical ignoramus, I leave it to others to comment on the content. If you think any of the videos are unsuitable, I will delete the relevant post. No harm done.

Comment

• Mandryka
                            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                            Doesn’t sound like J S Bach to me! One of his kids maybe.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Doesn’t sound like J S Bach to me! One of his kids maybe.
                              Was that supposed to be a joke or di you just not know BWV1022? I like the up-tempo approach in this performance.

Comment

• Mandryka
                                • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Was that supposed to be a joke or di you just not know BWV1022? I like the up-tempo approach in this performance.
                                I can’t remember hearing 1022 before, I’ll listen later. But I can see there’s a connection now to CPE from this

How you getting on with the Apartment House number pieces? My finger’s twitching over the order button.

Comment

Working...
                                X