• Edgy 2
    • Jan 2019

Chorale O Traurigkeit, o Herzeleid BWV 404

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
      Definitely my favourite of the Bach violin concerti, and an excellent performance here, IMO, that really brought out the dance-like character of the music. Just the right tempo for me too. Very happy listener!
      Thanks for the comment hmvman

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
        Chorale O Traurigkeit, o Herzeleid BWV 404
        Short-but-sweet this week!

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
          Short-but-sweet this week!
          Yep, don't blink

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Yep, don't blink
            A little requiem for anyone anywhen.

Comment

• Edgy 2
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              A little requiem for anyone anywhen.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Tomorrow's offering

Ricercar a 3 from The Musical Offering BWV 1079

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Ricercar a 3 from The Musical Offering BWV 1079
                  Very enjoyable, Rob. I love this piece. I also particularly like the Ricercar a 6 in Webern's arrangement, a point I always feel I have to add. It was what eventually drew my ear to the Musical Offering.

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

There’s an interesting discussion on YouTube about the relation of this piece to the music that Bach famously improvised on a piano. I wonder if there’s anything about it which makes it particularly suited for a piano.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Currently listening to this:

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                        There’s an interesting discussion on YouTube about the relation of this piece to the music that Bach famously improvised on a piano. I wonder if there’s anything about it which makes it particularly suited for a piano.
                        The discussion includes one opinion that only a computer ‘but no man’ could improvise a fugue like this! I agree with the response that the à3 is probably an elaboration of what Bach improvised for the king and his guests on one of his Silberman fortepianos, Frederick II first having played the theme (or something similar to it). Its chromatic and triplet episodes and sequences are characteristic of an improviser providing thinking time before the next treatment of the fugue subject.

The fortepiano in this performance has a beautiful sound and allows the player far more expressive scope than would a harpsichord. Of course it does ‘work’ on a harpsichord, but Bach would immediately have become aware of the possibilities afforded by the extra dimension of touch. The subject entries can be emphasised, the running triplets can be lightened, and so on... Dr van Doeselaar provides the answers in a subtly sublime performance.

Comment

• Beresford
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

The fortepiano in this performance has a beautiful sound and allows the player far more expressive scope than would a harpsichord. Of course it does ‘work’ on a harpsichord, but Bach would immediately have become aware of the possibilities afforded by the extra dimension of touch. The subject entries can be emphasised, the running triplets can be lightened, and so on...
                          A good argument for playing this 3 part Ricercar (and even more for the magnificent 6 part Ricercar) on a broken consort, say a bassoon, violin, and oboe, which is how I love to hear it.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                            A good argument for playing this 3 part Ricercar (and even more for the magnificent 6 part Ricercar) on a broken consort, say a bassoon, violin, and oboe, which is how I love to hear it.
                            Quite so. The Trio Sonatas for organ sound delightful played in this way. Doing the reverse, playing the Trio Sonata from the Musical Offering on a lone keyboard instrument, which I hope no one has ever done in concert, would be a reduction towards absurdity.

Jean Guillou’s transcription of the ricercar à 6 is a magisterial experience to play on the organ, large or small.

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                              Unless you lose too much by moving it away from harpsichord - lose the brilliance of the instrument, the speed, the transparency, the rich overtones. But Doeselaar’s instrument is nice, as is the performance.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

Many thanks for all the comments everyone

Latest

Organ Sonata No.6 in G major, BWV 530

Comment

Working...
                                X