• Edgy 2
    • Jan 2019

Flute Sonata in A major, BWV 1032

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

WASHINGTON—Acknowledging that it would be painful for many Americans to cancel their plans for the cherished national tradition, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned the public Friday against holding any large-scale celebrations commemorating the historic February release of Johann Sebastian Bach’s 1708 cantata “Gott Ist Mein König.” “Look, folks, I know that many of us were hoping that we could gather in our frock coats alongside our loved ones and friends to pay tribute to Bach’s inimitable baroque cantata, but this year that’s just not in the cards,” said the NIAID director, adding that while he felt the country’s pain at losing the chance to revel in the rich history of the 18th-century composer’s festive instrumental, he still strongly recommended against gathering the full orchestra of 3 trumpets, timpani, 2 recorders, 2 oboes, a bassoon, viola da gamba, and a continuo in an indoor setting due to coronavirus concerns. “Some of my fondest memories come from gathering every February with my mother and father and listening to Bach’s majestic pre-Neumeister rendering of the cantatas form, and I’m sure millions of you feel the same way. With that said, if you are going to gather, please keep any performances to a quartet. Frankly, though I would recommend just putting your white powdered wigs and knee breeches back into storage, enjoying a pipe organ recital, and maybe reading Johann Heermann’s hymn ‘O Gott, du frommer Gott’ around the dinner table with your close family. I’m sorry, but that’s just where we are at the moment.” At press time, Fauci was strongly urging Americans to consider safety concerns before giving into the temptation to travel back to Bach’s birthplace of Eisenach, Germany.

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Thanks Rob. Another rescued work - how do they do it! Two outstanding performers on perfectly matched instruments, in a beautiful setting, overlooked by The Goldfinch ( what one finds out by the way in these programmes) and other good looking witnesses. I have to say I threw caution to the winds, much as I respect Anthony Fauci, and listened without a mask. Some things simply have to be done, whatever the consequences, and I enjoyed the Sonata, especially the slow second movement - Bach Largos Matter.
        (Dons frock coat in haste)

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
          Thanks Rob. Another rescued work - how do they do it! Two outstanding performers on perfectly matched instruments, in a beautiful setting, overlooked by The Goldfinch ( what one finds out by the way in these programmes) and other good looking witnesses. I have to say I threw caution to the winds, much as I respect Anthony Fauci, and listened without a mask. Some things simply have to be done, whatever the consequences, and I enjoyed the Sonata, especially the slow second movement - Bach Largos Matter.
          (Dons frock coat in haste)

Now this is good, couldn't wait til tomorrow to listen to it

English Suite No 1 in A major BWV 806

Played by Aline Zylberajch in July 2019

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post

Now this is good, couldn't wait til tomorrow to listen to it

English Suite No 1 in A major BWV 806

Played by Aline Zylberajch in July 2019

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

This one did not get me going, Rob. I'm not familiar with the English Suites except for No 4, which in an earlier life I actually managed to attempt most of. There was a Bourree or a Sarabande particularly brilliant - if I can find it. Perhaps there's a lesson there.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

There was a Bourree or a Sarabande particularly brilliant
                It was the Sarabande. I played it without much ornamentation! I loved the harmony.

Provided to YouTube by Sony ClassicalEnglish Suite No. 4 in F Major, BWV 809: IV. Sarabande · Murray Perahia · Johann Sebastian BachBach: English Suites Nos....

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

It was the Sarabande. I played it without much ornamentation! I loved the harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FItJgQIMGq4
                  and respect to you for being able to play it

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Trauerode - Laß, Fürstin ,laß noch einen Strahl BWV 198

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Trauerode - Laß, Fürstin ,laß noch einen Strahl BWV 198
                      What a band! Alto soloist (pictured) star performer. Cantatas were never part of my musical education; how I love them.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

A real treat for tomorrow (these fortnights seem to be flying by )

Violin Concerto in A minor BWV 1041

Comment

• Edgy 2
                          • Jan 2019

What a band! Alto soloist (pictured) star performer. Cantatas were never part of my musical education; how I love them.

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

Violin Concerto in A minor BWV 1041
                            One of my first purchases, Rob. Might have been about 1954. It was on a 10 inch LP, with No 2. The Oistrachs. I think it was Archiv? label. Lent it, though, to a friend that same year and. . . you know the rest! Replaced it later on with a CD.

I have not heard it much since then until today and it all came back. I can't say, however, that I took in much of the conversation about fiddles and bows. That's where my 'cloth ears' come in.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                              • Jan 2019

One of my first purchases, Rob. Might have been about 1954. It was on a 10 inch LP, with No 2. The Oistrachs. I think it was Archiv? label. Lent it, though, to a friend that same year and. . . you know the rest! Replaced it later on with a CD.

I have not heard it much since then until today and it all came back. I can't say, however, that I took in much of the conversation about fiddles and bows. That's where my 'cloth ears' come in.
                              Thanks Padraig, I would guess a lot of peoples first hearing of Bach would be this piece

Comment

• hmvman
                                • Mar 2007

Definitely my favourite of the Bach violin concerti, and an excellent performance here, IMO, that really brought out the dance-like character of the music. Just the right tempo for me too. Very happy listener!

Comment

Working...
                                X