• Jan 2019

Thanks as always ferney
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Cheers, Edgey

Did you watch the video of excerpts from the masterclasses as well? Brilliant - these kids, looking very grown-up in the performance videos, get really "kiddy" with excitement as they choose their baroque instruments, and discover what they can do for the Music with them.

In connection with the recordings of Bach’s Violin Sonatas and Partitas, the Netherlands Bach Society has organised a talent development project for the viol...
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Edgy 2
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Cheers, Edgey

Did you watch the video of excerpts from the masterclasses as well? Brilliant - these kids, looking very grown-up in the performance videos, get really "kiddy" with excitement as they choose their baroque instruments, and discover what they can do for the Music with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=i8UNFbGzFMM
        Yes I did,it was wonderful to see

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Partita in b minor for solo Violin, BWV 1002

Shunske Sato performing in Haarlem's Light Factory (the old Gas & Electricity factory works - like Tate Modern, now used for concerts and performances):

... and, for youTubers:

Variations are placed explicitly in the foreground in Partita no. 1, performed here by Shunske Sato for All of Bach. It is the only partita in which each dan...

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

Thank you ferney as always

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Sonata for Solo Violin in a minor, BWV 1003

Looks like we're getting the entire solo Violin works as a "cycle" (or "traversal") from Shunske Sato. No problem as far as I'm concerned:

... and, for 'Tubers:

In this Sonata no. 2, performed by Shunske Sato for All of Bach, Bach makes the unviolinistic violinistic, but also embraces what the violin does best anyway...

Comment

• Beresford
                • Apr 2012

I can't wait (well I will have to) to see what Shunske Sato does with the fugue from the 3rd Sonata BWV1005, as it seems to expose the grip and technique and emotionality and ego of the player more than any other. In my view it combines the happiness of the fugue in the first sonata, with the struggle of the fugue in this one (2nd sonata), in a paradox which only the best violinists can navigate convincingly, and Sato is one of the best.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Marvellous,thank you ferney

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                    I can't wait (well I will have to) to see what Shunske Sato does with the fugue from the 3rd Sonata BWV1005, as it seems to expose the grip and technique and emotionality and ego of the player more than any other. In my view it combines the happiness of the fugue in the first sonata, with the struggle of the fugue in this one (2nd sonata), in a paradox which only the best violinists can navigate convincingly, and Sato is one of the best.
                    Your wait will be over tomorrow.
                    I've already had the e mail but haven't listened to the performance yet.
                    I'll leave it to ferney to post the links on Friday if that's ok

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Sonata for Solo Violin in C, BWV 1005

No sooner said than ... waited nine hours then done:

... and, for youTubers:

In this Sonata no. 3, performed by Shunske Sato for All of Bach, Bach appears to have been looking to Italy for inspiration. The mysterious first Adagio, for...

(Don't know why they waited a week to publish this ... but so worth waiting for. New videos seem to be appearing on Thursdays now - but I think keeping the pleasures until Friday on the Forum is a marvellous way of starting the weekend,)

Comment

• Beresford
                        • Apr 2012

Gob smacking performance - Japanese passion in spades - quite different to Arthur Grumiaux or Rachel Podger, but I'm entranced by all three.

(And as zola reports you can stream Podger in the first sonata and partita from the Wigmore Hall on Sunday morning).

Comment

• Edgy 2
                          • Jan 2019

Maybe the best thing that's ever appeared on AoB
                          Thanks ferney,didn't seem right posting the link on a Thursday

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Partita for Solo Violin #3 in E, BWV 1006

The survey continues:

Comment

• Edgy 2
                              • Jan 2019

Nice
                              Thanks as always ferney

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Partita in d minor for solo Violin, BWV1004

Concluding Shunske Sato's traversal of the complete works for solo violin - with the ordering nicely arranged so that the great Chaconne concludes the project. Tremendissimo!

... and for youTubers:

Shrouded in wistfulness, all the movements of this Partita no. 2, here performed by Shunske Sato for All of Bach, are in a minor key. Bach’s manuscript origi...

... how do you follow that?!

Comment

Working...
                                X