X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    The twentieth pair from Book One of "The 48", played by Olga Pashchenko on her "after Silbermann" harpsichord from her own home in Utrecht.
    This one - or these two? - I remember reasonably well, which is always a good start!
    I like the ordinariness of the video: at home practising Bach with a familiar view of the street outside, lush settings and furnishings, though appreciated, not necessary for an enjoyable performance like this one. I wonder if this is the point that is sometimes made to put forward the view that classical music is too often seen as elitist? Just wondering.

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Thanks ferney as always.
      Lovely view of the car park
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

"Der Geist hilft unsrer Schwachheit auf", Motet BWV 226

"The spirit helps us in our weakness"; a repeat showing of a video first published on AoB nearly two years ago. Double Choir (4,3,3,3 X 2) with instrumental ensemble, all conducted by Stephan MacLeod.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Thanks, ferney. So the pattern now seems to be a new recording every two weeks.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            Thanks, ferney. So the pattern now seems to be a new recording every two weeks.

Looks like. I was a bit concerned when this started, but the "archive" is now already so huge (and full of so many wonderful performances) that it's a pleasure to hear them again.

It's a fantastic project - many thanks to Hitch for starting it off on the Forum.

Comment

• Edgy 2
              • Jan 2019

Looks like. I was a bit concerned when this started, but the "archive" is now already so huge (and full of so many wonderful performances) that it's a pleasure to hear them again.

It's a fantastic project - many thanks to Hitch for starting it off on the Forum.
              Hear hear,and the usual thanks to you ferney

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Erm - nothing new for this week yet, it seems.

I played the Matthew Passion today, so I haven't been deprived personally, but ...

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Erm - nothing new for this week yet, it seems.

I played the Matthew Passion today, so I haven't been deprived personally, but ...
                  Easter Oratorio available on Sunday ferney

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

There's a Dutch B Minor Mass(if you see what I mean) on TTN
                    The Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, directed by Ton Koopma, performs Bach's Mass in B minor.

but no pictures of course...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                      Easter Oratorio available on Sunday ferney
                      https://mailchi.mp/allofbach/bwv1045...1?e=23e79c7061
                      Indeed so! ( of a performance, too!)

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Indeed so! ( of a performance, too!)

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-249/

Listening now.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Idiot question, perhaps (and maybe better suited to the Musical questions and answers thread):

Why is the Easter Oratorio not considered simply as one of the sacred cantatas?
                          The Christmas Oratorio is an assemblage of six 'cantatas' for specific days, albeit outside the sacred cantata canon; was there an original broader conception for a Paschal equivalent?

PS:Wiki is a bit of a help (but not much); I'm sure that some erudite forumites will provide some rationale!
                          Last edited by Pulcinella; 22-04-19, 16:18. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

It is peculiar, Pulcie - the Easter and Ascension Oratorios sort of refer back to the mid-17th Century Italian "Oratorio Vulgare", a choral work lasting between 30-60 minutes in the vernacular language, in two parts separated by a sermon. I think it's just the length of the piece that led to the different title - but the Ascension Oratorio has a BWV number that puts it firmly amongst the Church Cantatas, whereas both the Christmas and Easter Oratorio's BWV 248 & 249 are post-Secular Cantatas (so the compilers of the Catalogue weren't sure themselves). And the six individual Cantatas of the Christmas, intended to be performed on separate days ... is an individual use of the Oratorio concept. Perhaps it was just a phase he was going through - he didn't use the term before 1734 or after 1735.

And IIRC, all three Oratorios recycle material from earlier works, which may be relevant ....

... or not?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

"Auf, schmetternde Töne der muntern Trompeten" BWV 207a

"On with the smashing sounds of the cheerful trumpets" (-ish). An outdoor performance (with birdsong ornamentation), recorded nearly three years ago, but newly published. One of Bach's "secular Cantatas" (although the notes have some interesting comments about this term, which may have some bearing on Pulcie's comment about Bach's use of the term "Oratorio").

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

Many thanks as always ferney

Comment

Working...
                                X