X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    The lovely duo Cantata, Ach Gott, wie manches Herzeleid BWV58 this week, performed by Soprano Monika Mauch, Bass Stephan MacLeod, (and Shunske Sato solo violin obligato in the soprano aria) with orchestra conducted by Jos van Veldhoven. Recorded in September 2015 in St Martin's Church in Groningen in the Netherlands.

Fourteen minutes of unmitigated delight!

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-58/
    Thanks ferney as always.

That soprano and solo violin bit,well what can I say,it's extraordinary.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Prelude & Fugue in C major, BWV 545

No - not that one: this is an organ work with a complicated textual history. The original manuscript (it's an early work, dating from "before 1717") is lost, but there survive many 18th Century editions of the work by other Musicians, in which bits are cut out, extra bits added and with a particular fondness for sticking another movement between the Prelude and the Fugue. The organist here, Bart Jacobs, plays the version believed to be closest to Bach's original conception - but it's fascinating that this piece attracted such widespread attention in the composer's own lifetime; there's an (extended) arrangement from the contemporary organist of Westminster Churchy-type thingy place.

Recorded on the Muller organ in the Great Church of St Bavo last September.

Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 27-01-17, 13:01.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

The organist here, Bart Jacobs, plays the version believed to be closest to Bach's original conception - but it's fascinating that this piece attracted such widespread attention in the composer's own lifetime; there's an (extended) arrangement from the contemporary organist of Westminster Cathedral.
        ... what, there was an organist at Westminster Cathedral contemporary with JS Bach??

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... what, there was an organist at Westminster Cathedral contemporary with JS Bach??
          Julie Amended.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Julie Amended.
            ... and does this organist at the W'minster churchy-thingy place have a name?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

... and does this organist at the W'minster churchy-thingy place have a name?
              Presumably the same one as given on the "About this Work" section - I'd already copied out two-thirds of the ryddu thing, I wanted to create a spirit of enquiry and exploration for interested Forumistas

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... sorry sorry sorry - I had assumed that your text was something fresh from the ferneybrain : I was too indolent to read the attachmt: - whence I now learn :

" One English manuscript gives a version in B-flat major “by the late Mr John Robinson” (1682-1762), organist of Westminster Abbey. In between the prelude and fugue, he puts a version of the final section of the Gamba sonata no. 3, BWV 1029, which in turn is sandwiched between two short intermezzos. According to his contemporary Charles Burney, Robinson was “regarded as one of the best performers on keyed instruments of the time”, and he was “attended by great crowds, wherever he performed”."

I shall have to see if I have that version on the shelves...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

... sorry sorry sorry - I had assumed that your text was something fresh from the ferneybrain :
                  Well - my Westminster error didn't help (to compound my error, I was actually "thinking" of Winchester for some reason as I typed ). I don't like just to leave a bare link to the AoB website, and as much of the repertoire (especially the Organ Works) is brand new to me, I can't add ferneythoughts for every work. The comments in these cases are "tempters" to explore the work of the week.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

I'd already copied out two-thirds of the ryddu thing
                    ... 'ryddu' always looks Welsh to me, so I pronounce it to meself as "ru-thee". But I carnt be right here...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

... 'ryddu' always looks Welsh to me, so I pronounce it to meself as "ru-thee". But I carnt be right here...
                      It may not be right, but it was my intention - a mild expletive and hommage a Dylan Thomas, bach.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks ferney and vinteuil,great stuff.

Plenty of the alternative B-Flat (BWV 545b) version on the net

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Wot no Friday fix ferney ?

BWV 864

A prelude and fugue where the prelude is also a fugue !

You can play guess the cds on the shelves too

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Many thanks for the honours, Edgey - been out most of today, taking in a glorious recital by the Opera North String Quartet with the principal clarinettist.

Coming back for some superbly-played Bach - one of the lines that Lou Reed missed out of Perfect Day (I think I noticed Transformer on his shelves!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Cantata BWV 75; "Die Elenden sollen essen"

A(nother) real treat this week - a Cantata conducted by Sigiswald Kuijken; just doesn't get any better. Written to be performed at Bach's very first Church Service at Leipzig, and really two for the price of one, as the two "halves" (each as long as some of the later Cantatas) of the work would be performed on either side of the Sermon. Kuijken directs a TVpP performance (soloists plus solo Ripienists - not sure why; none are indicated in the manuscript [unlike those of BWV 71, or 76]) recorded last April in the Walloon Church in Amsterdam (where van Goch's uncle used to preach) with the 1734 organ by Christian Muller (restored 1960, 1993, & 2000). [A pedant writes "Not so 'awfentik', then: the Cantata was written in 1723." We thank Herr Pedant for his interesting information, and hope he finds romance soon.]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Wonderful.
                                Many thanks ferney

Comment

Working...
                                X