X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

BWV 933 - 938

Six Little Preludes played on the most beautiful of musical instruments.
    Apparently a mini trial run for the Wohltemperirte Clavier.
    If you haven't visited for a while,the website has had a bit of a makeover and is a bit easier to navigate nowadays.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

BWV 656 - O Lamm Gottes unschuldig

Sure to bring a lump to the throat as those who are familiar will already know.

This may be of interest and use too http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/about.htm

Comment

• Lento
        • Jan 2014

Illuminating interview, also, as they usually are. Version of the chorale used is rather different from that in my Riemenschneider, so I was confused at first: it doesn't take much! Organ pitch a semitone up, I think, so a bit strange to watch.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          BWV 656 - O Lamm Gottes unschuldig
          Came on here after listening to Paul McCreesh/Gabrieli Players "small force" Matthew Passion on Rai 5 Classica. I didn't know this before and found it enthralling and moving - light as air. Having read your post, Rob, I've just taken your tip and gone to BWV 656 - O Lamm Gottes unschuldig on my Bach on Silbermann Organs set. Hans Otto plays the marvellous instrument at Freiberg, Saxony, which we have heard in situ.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I don't know whether any of you have heard of the organist, Robert Costin but so far he has recorded Das Wohltempierte I and is in the process of the 2nd book. Both are/will be available from Stone records. Played on Pembroke college, on the chapel organ. If book I is anything to gio by, be well worth buying.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Came on here after listening to Paul McCreesh/Gabrieli Players "small force" Matthew Passion on Rai 5 Classica. I didn't know this before and found it enthralling and moving - light as air. Having read your post, Rob, I've just taken your tip and gone to BWV 656 - O Lamm Gottes unschuldig on my Bach on Silbermann Organs set. Hans Otto plays the marvellous instrument at Freiberg, Saxony, which we have heard in situ.
              WOW gurney,I'm very envious.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

I can understand your enthusiasm for Bach's organ music, Rob, since mine is for the likes of last Fridays's performance - Sonata for Viola da Gamba and harpsichord. I have caught up with all my missed Fridays, except for the organ music!

I hope you are keeping well and have a definite plan of action.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  I can understand your enthusiasm for Bach's organ music, Rob, since mine is for the likes of last Fridays's performance - Sonata for Viola da Gamba and harpsichord. I have caught up with all my missed Fridays, except for the organ music!

I hope you are keeping well and have a definite plan of action.
                  Thanks Padraig.
                  Not feeling too bad.
                  Yes I enjoyed that piece too, Bach's music passed me by for so many years and now I can't imagine life without it.

Comment

• Lento
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    BWV 651 is today's official offering,which is very nice.

Also found this while loitering on you tube Bach pages

Amazing! Authenticity with a difference.

Comment

• Lento
                      • Jan 2014

Bach on a buzzbox this week.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-731/

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

http://allofbach.com/en/bwv/bwv-731/
                          What is a buzzbox, Lento, that Rob so blithley commends it?

Is it to do with the registration of the organ?
                          Or with one of those keyboard instruments used in pop bands? It sounds a faintly damning description of the piece, which I don't believe is intended.

It takes me back to my schooldays as a boarder. A priest used to play the chapel organ in the evenings on occasion, and sometimes, if free, I went in to listen. Most of the pieces he played were unknown to me, being the ignorant youth that I was, unless they were part of our regular devotions. The only composers I knew and admired in those days were Palestrina and JS Bach and I like to think now that I responded instinctively to Bach's music then, and that this was one of the pieces played. The priest never acknowledged the presence of a listener, and it would have been unthinkable to advertise oneself. On reflection, this was the best opportunity to hear good music offered by my school, but it was not on the curriculum outside of the compulsory devotions.

Comment

• Lento
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            What is a buzzbox, Lento, that Rob so blithley commends it?

Is it to do with the registration of the organ?
                            Correct! I was flippantly referring to what I believe is the Vox Humana stop. I hadn't realised till recently that the stop existed in Bach's time, so perhaps it was present on the organs he played. I'd have liked a contrast of registration in the featured performance, but I'm guessing that such chopping and changing would be inauthentic.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Correct! I was flippantly referring to what I believe is the Vox Humana stop. I hadn't realised till recently that the stop existed in Bach's time, so perhaps it was present on the organs he played. I'd have liked a contrast of registration in the featured performance, but I'm guessing that such chopping and changing would be inauthentic.
                              Many thanks, Lento. My knowledge does not extend to such niceties as you describe; but I get the gist of your kind explanation, and I'm glad I was at least in the right area with my questions.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks Lento,I didn't know that was what it is called,no expert me,but it was certainly a different,but not unpleasant,sound.
                                The word buzzbox made me chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                                X