Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hitch
    • Nov 2010

Today's offering is just my cup of tea: Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639.
    Last edited by Hitch; 01-09-19, 12:53.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
      Today's offering is just my cup of tea: Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639.
      Mine too Hitch

Comment

• Hitch
        • Nov 2010

This week's piece is Selig ist der Mann (Blessed is the man), BWV 57.

Some tips if you intend to explore the All of Bach website:

1. When playing a video, click on the letters "HD" (for High Definition) in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to reduce the picture quality and ease the strain on your computer and internet connection.

2. Next to the HD button is a reticule-like thing resembling the letter X. Click on it to enlarge the video to full-screen. This is where de-selecting HD comes in handy.

3. Alternatively, select the "reduce" option at the top right of the video screen. This will allow you to play the video and read the website's informative articles at the same time.
        Last edited by Hitch; 01-09-19, 13:09.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

This week's piece is Selig ist der Mann (Blessed is the man), BWV 57.

Some tips if you intend to explore the All of Bach website:

1. When playing a video, click on the letters "HD" (for High Definition) in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to reduce the picture quality and ease the strain on your computer and internet connection.

2. Next to the HD button is a reticule-like thing resembling the letter X. Click on it to enlarge the video to full-screen. This is where de-selecting HD comes in handy.

3. Alternatively, select the "reduce" option at the top right of the video screen. This will allow you to play the video and read the website's informative articles at the same time.
          Thanks Hitch for those tips.
          The site seems to be working fine for me now after the recent blips,I wonder if this advice will help Padraig.

Well you learn something new with every instalment of this wonderful project.
          From AoB :-

Bach did not often write the word ‘cantata’ above his pieces. In fact, most of his cantatas have no title at all. This one does, however. It is called ‘Concerto in dialogo’
          I agree with the conductor that you don't have to be a believer,or religious,to understand the significance and importance of JSB's sacred music.
          I'm not and I do.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Just a reminder for those following AoB,plenty of interesting stuff about the cantatas here http://www.bach-cantatas.com/index.htm

Comment

• Hitch
              • Nov 2010

Thank you, Rob. Visiting Bach-cantatas.com, one feels a bit like Scrooge McDuck swan-diving into his hall of gold coins.

Re. the AoB video: The musicians emanate a palpable feeling of joy and satisfaction on reaching the last movement of BWV 57, the chorale “Richte dich, Liebste, nach meinem Gefallen und gläube”. An unexpected pleasure was detecting a resemblance to "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation". Bach-cantatas.com has a note from John Gardiner confirming this. What fun!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

BWV 677.

A tiny piece for organ,can't get it out of my head.
                No excuses it will only take 90 seconds of your time.
                I feel a bit short changed,they should've put 2 works on today

Comment

• Lento
                  • Jan 2014

Interesting short interview, too, about registration.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    BWV 677.

A tiny piece for organ,can't get it out of my head.
                    No excuses it will only take 90 seconds of your time.
                    I feel a bit short changed,they should've put 2 works on today
                    My ipad mysteriously repeated it.........
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hitch
                      • Nov 2010

BWV 677: a slice of Bach from All of Bach. Lovely.

Visiting the website is an excellent way to explore JSB's immense hinterland. What vistas await, I wonder?

As for more familiar ground, the performance of Cello Suite No.1 by Lucia Swarts revealed a soloist who caresses the cello and lets the sounds escape. There is none of the digging and prising that is sometimes heard in outings of this work. It is refreshing to hear the cello sing Bach's playful and profound lines.
                      Last edited by Hitch; 01-09-19, 13:07.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

BWV 1038
                        Trio Sonata in G major.

Very interesting interview about the tuning of the violin.
                        Learned a new musical term too,Scordatura.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Anybody there ?

Organ piece.

Jesus Christus unser Heiland BWV 666

Another version of the Chorale but alio modo

Amazing how much interesting stuff has been written about so few bars of music.

Comment

• Hitch
                            • Nov 2010

The first notes of the Trio Sonata in G major came as a disappointment. In my ignorance, I thought AoB's high standards had dropped because the violin was clearly out of tune. Shunske Sato's videoed explanation put me right on scordatura.

The music, performance and setting of Jesus Christus, unser Heiland was fine Sunday morning viewing, spoiled only by my neighbours' (the apostrophe is in the correct place) lawn mowers. I've recently got into the habit of compiling Spotify playlists of each week's piece, which is very handy for revisiting short organ works and for comparing different performances... and organs.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

The first notes of the Trio Sonata in G major came as a disappointment. In my ignorance, I thought AoB's high standards had dropped because the violin was clearly out of tune. Shunske Sato's videoed explanation put me right on scordatura.

The music, performance and setting of Jesus Christus, unser Heiland was fine Sunday morning viewing, spoiled only by my neighbours' (the apostrophe is in the correct place) lawn mowers. I've recently got into the habit of compiling Spotify playlists of each week's piece, which is very handy for revisiting short organ works and for comparing different performances... and organs.

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

Thanks for asking earlier, ER, but I still don't get the performances of AOB. What I've done is to go through the Bach Cantatas as near to Fridays as I remember. I have Box 2 of the Cantatas from the big Brilliant all of Bach beside me, and I play the next one as and when. Anyway, how many of us, do you think, will survive to watch the last number? And, for that matter, how many of them will peform it? Just a cheerful distraction to brighten up any morbid thoughts you might be having.

Comment

Working...
                                X