Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    It's terrific, isn't it?! If you've not already heard it, Carter's slightly earlier piano sonata deserves a spin or ten, too!
    I've treated myself to the 4CD set published by Nonesuch for Carter's centenary birthday and the piano sonata is there too in a performance by Paul Jacobs whose pianism I already admire so I can't wait for it to arrive

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I've treated myself to the 4CD set published by Nonesuch for Carter's centenary birthday and the piano sonata is there too in a performance by Paul Jacobs whose pianism I already admire so I can't wait for it to arrive
      I wish that I could play it - but, as being a pianist of considerable talents is one essential prerequisite for that, there's sadly less than no chance. Carter was apparently not much of a pianist (although he did give at least one recital in his 'teens), but his grasp in that sonata of what works well for the instrument suggests (to me, at least) that it was in fact written by a master-pianist.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        I can't help feeling that a new work for string quartet (regardless of any elegant title/musical originality) is an implicit statement of a certain "allegiance" to an old tradition
        Not necessarily, except in so far as that tradition has produced a kind of intensity, accuracy and (potential) homogeneity in ensemble playing on a higher level in general than other ensembles.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Boilk
          Well, if I were a music publisher or composer in 19th century Europe, I think there would be more demand for sonatas than cantatas, given the widespread domestic music-making amongst the middle classes. That's probably the biggest factor.
          Well, except that
          1) many composers reserved their works called "Sonatas" for professional performers - amateurs were given Albumblatts and the occasional Sonatina (such as Dvorak's lovely Op100).
          2) any Music Publisher in 19th Century Europe who neglected the Choral Societies that existed throughout Britain and Germany probably wouldn't stay in business for very long. (A work for flute and harp would sell in pairs - copies of Choral works in hundreds.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

The Carter Piano Sonata is his first characteristic work when he starts to develop his own distinct manner, and sits along with the sonatas of Ives, Griffes, Copland, Barber and Sessions as the major American contributions to the Piano Sonata, and IMO the Carter is the finest of the lot and one of the great 20th century piano sonatas.

Comment

• Black Swan

Suffolkcoastal,

Which recording would you recommend for the Carter? I have the Peter Lawson as Vol. 1 of American Piano Sonatas along with Barber, Copland and Ives.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                Which recording would you recommend for the Carter?
                I got to know it through Charles Rosen's excellent recording, which has the added advantage of being combined with more Carter (Night Fantasies), but I've just been listening to Ursula Oppens' recording which is also very fine if more aggressive, and has the even bigger advantage of being combined with everything else Carter had written for solo piano up until 2008, I don't know if he added any more after that.

This thread is straying somewhat from cello sonatas is it not...

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

Hi BS

For the Cello Sonata definitely the Fred Sherry. As for the Piano Sonata, I first heard it through Charles Rosen's recording (there's a recording of a conversation between Carter and Rosen on youtube btw) and I retain a soft spot for that interpretation. I've heard three other recordings, the Lawson, Oppens and Jacobs and all three are good, though from what I recall Paul Jacobs recording is the best of these.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    I got to know it through Charles Rosen's excellent recording, which has the added advantage of being combined with more Carter (Night Fantasies), but I've just been listening to Ursula Oppens' recording which is also very fine if more aggressive, and has the even bigger advantage of being combined with everything else Carter had written for solo piano up until 2008, I don't know if he added any more after that.
                    Not as far as I'm aware, although he did write four other works including piano after that, namely Two Controversies and a Conversation (originally Conversations) for piano, percussion and chamber orchestra (2010–11), Dialogues II for piano and chamber orchestra (2012) and his final work Epigrams for violin, cello and piano (2012).

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    This thread is straying somewhat from cello sonatas is it not...
                    It is indeed - and my contribution here doesn't exactly help to get it back on track!...

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      The Carter Piano Sonata is his first characteristic work when he starts to develop his own distinct manner, and sits along with the sonatas of Ives, Griffes, Copland, Barber and Sessions as the major American contributions to the Piano Sonata, and IMO the Carter is the finest of the lot and one of the great 20th century piano sonatas.
                      As so often, messages on these boards send me scurrying back to works I haven't listened to for too long.

What an outstanding piece this early Carter sonata is. And so brilliantly played by Charles Rosen.

Thanks to Suffie!

Comment

• Black Swan

[QUOTE=verismissimo;399343]As so often, messages on these boards send me scurrying back to works I haven't listened to for too long.

Well having a scurry through my collection. I don't have the Fred Sherry Sonata, I do have him playing the 2001 Cello Concerto. I do have the sonata played by Joel Krosnick so I will have a listen and also go back to the Lawson recording of the Piano Sonata.

And thanks to all for comments and to Suffolkcoastal for reinvigorating my interest in Carter's music.

Comment

Working...
                        X