X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Sorry, but that wonderful trio's first movement begins and ends in A minor and its second begins in E major and ends with an allegro section that opens in A major and ends in A minor - so it would be "cheating" only to the extent that it's just the finale that begins in the major and ends in the minor!
    Really sorry to confuse the issue: I meant Tchaik Piano Concerto!

Comment

• Lento
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by kea View Post
      It is reasonably common for the finale to be in the parallel minor but it usually switches to major at the end
      That's something I wouldn't have expected, even with a late switch to parallel major. Thanks for the interesting reply, btw.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kea
        a minor chord was viewed as dissonant in the classical era.
        This was more of a baroque convention, based upon the fact that the 5th harmonic was a major 3rd. By classical times, minor key movements generally ended with minor chords.

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Lento View Post
          That's something I wouldn't have expected, even with a late switch to parallel major. Thanks for the interesting reply, btw.
          Offhand examples -
          Mozart "Alla turca" sonata already mentioned
          Brahms Symphony No. 3
          Haydn Quartets Op 76/1 and 76/3
          Arensky Piano Quintet
          Bruckner Symphony No. 6 and String Quintet
          Berwald Sinfonie singulière
          Shostakovich Symphony No. 15
          one of the Bach cantatas
          etc

Barber Violin Concerto is an interesting example—G major -> A minor. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, after an introduction in D-flat major, then switches to B-flat minor for the main body of the movement, which proceeds to end in B-flat major. This pattern is subsequently repeated: slow movement in D-flat major, leads directly into finale in B-flat minor which ends in B-flat major.

Another interesting example is the finale of Prokofiev's Symphony No. 6, which starts in E-flat major but seems to be about to end in E-flat minor (the tonality of the first movement). At the very last chord the brass switch back to E-flat major, but too late to give the movement a "happy" ending and dispel the sense of foreboding. The Shostakovich example is similar; though the very last note is a C-sharp (establishing A major rather than A minor, which most of the movement has been in) the previous few minutes of ticking and rattling don't give us the sense that this is much of a resolution. 20th century composers liked this sort of ambiguity of course.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

when people say parallel major, is that what I used to call tonic major ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              when people say parallel major, is that what I used to call tonic major ?
              Me, too (I did earlier on) - "parallel major" is obviously a well-known convention, but I can't recall encountering it before, and I did think it was an alternative for "relative major". Live and learn.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Elgar: Symphony No. 3. It's described as being "in C minor", yet its first movement begins in C major before establishing C minor as its principal tonality within just a few measures (although it also ends in C major) and its finale begins in C major and ends in C minor.

Comment

Working...
                X