• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

What do conductors do?

Article by Ivan Hewett:

Do orchestras really need someone flapping their arms on a podium? Yes, actually. Ivan Hewett explains why
  • Ariosto

Interesting article. I agree with some of these comments but in my very limited experience, the conductors that make a big show are the least musical. Someone like Goodall could do it almost invisibly, and yet the audience were always experiencing a high, from the unique shape he gave to the music. And they loved it when he shouted at the singers!

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Not a totally trivial comparison, I hope, but it seems to me that like a football manager, the conductor's main work has already been done on the training ground and what is done on the night is mostly up to the performers, whatever gesticulatory input is offered on the night from the touchline - much of which is playing to the gallery. Of course, the conductor has the disadvantage of not being able to bring on substitutes in cases of under-performance by individual team members or headbutting anyone who causes annoyance.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
        • Mar 2013

In answer to the thead's title: in Rattle's case, interfere.
        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          In answer to the thead's title: in Rattle's case, interfere.
          You mean like Max Clifford?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
            Interesting article. I agree with some of these comments but in my very limited experience, the conductors that make a big show are the least musical. Someone like Goodall could do it almost invisibly, and yet the audience were always experiencing a high, from the unique shape he gave to the music. And they loved it when he shouted at the singers!
            You will also, no doubt, have noticed how a certain RN often just sat there and let the Stuttgarters get on with it while he listened and enjoyed their collective music making. There again, much work would have gone on during rehearsals.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              You will also, no doubt, have noticed how a certain RN often just sat there and let the Stuttgarters get on with it while he listened and enjoyed their collective music making. There again, much work would have gone on during rehearsals.
              Gosh, and I thought that was because he was deaf!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Good article and what wonderful words of wisdom from Haitink. Norman del Mar was fond of reminding why conductors are necessary when many composer's scores are littered with errors and ambiguities that need the conductor's adjudication. A conductor who really knows his scores can save valuable time in rehearsal.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

radio 3 wonders what conductors do

Many people wonder what the person in front of the orchestra or choir, waving their arms around, is actually doing. This interactive article provides the answer.

Comment

Working...
                  X